NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a power pole put on the boat last week and man I've been missing out all this time. Of course on sat there wasn't much wind so I didn't really need it. Fished from N Creek to the mouth of the Pungo River and caught some decent flounder. The action was not as hot as it has been, but we ended up catching 20-25 flounder with 3 nice keepers and a bonus of two trout 17" and 18", which is a great sign because I haven't seen any all summer. Also had 4-5 fish within an 1/8 of an inch from being keepers. Almost all fish were caught on 3" gulp shrimp in white. I caught fish at every stop I made, which is a first for this summer and tells me that fish are really moving in. I think I saw Curtis Pelt over towards Able's Bay and all the boat traffic he was talking about. Didn't stay there long. On Sunday we went to Hobucken to search for more flounder and hopefully snag a drum or two. Ended up with 10-15 flounder with 3 nice keepers and lost a nice one right beside the boat. Had a good chop on Sun and dropped the pole to see how it would handle it and the boat stayed dry. Still no Drum!!!!! All 3 keepers were caught in the first 30 min of fishing and as the sun came up and the heat moved in, the fishing cut off. Had I not had the power pole, we would've had half the keepers this weekend. All in all not a bad weekend of fishing considering the heat, still lookin for the mother lode of flounder and some nice Reds!!!

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Nice report Reel Prime!! Great to hear you like that power pole! Spot lock has changed my life, and I imagine that a PP would make it even better.

Good to hear the Flounder are still moving in! Maybe the drum will be waiting for me when I get back!

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
As I read thee reoprts the theme seems to be get out before the sun come up. Is this correct?
Some days yes, some no. I have been out there in the middle of August, hot as all get out and have the reds and trout go on a feeding binge at high NOON. Catch a load of them for an hour or 2 and then they quit. We did that last year and caught some nice over slot reds and nice specks mixed together.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.