NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tuned up the "new" old boat motor I bought on Wed. (72 johnson 25hp) One of the things I did was to change the oil in the lower unit. Today, I put the motor in a barrel of water to check her out. When I raised the motor out of the water, I soon noticed a stream of grayish oil streaming from a small hole (perhaps port) to the outside and slightly lower than the top plug on the lower unit. I'm sure this is coming from the lower unit, because the oil I removed when I changed it was the same color.

The hole/port is symmetrical and looks like its original to the motor and not some sort of damage.

Anybody have any idea what this is and how to correct it?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Zooker,

I went by the repair shop yesterday morning and was told the same thing. However, I was told that it wasn't a bad proplem to repair myself so I ordered the parts.

No offence, but I'm gonna be optimistic and go with the repair shop's statement that "it's not too bad a job" and hope your speaking from the perspective of a no thumbed mechanically dis-inclined tackle monkey.:D However, with my luck, that probably ain't the case.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
sorry so slow to give ya a diagnonsis..LOL Yep, seal... Not too bad on the smaller motors. Just be careful with all and any bolt so they dont twist off. Work them back and forth and soak them in WD40 or PB Blaster and you'll be fine.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.