NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Does anyone out there use those expensive Lucky Craft Lures?I'm an old jig and worm guy and I can't make myself put out 17$ for one of those things. Are they really three times better than a rapala, cause they cost three times as much? Fishing here on the "dead sea" {Lake Norman] has made me make adjustments and trowing crankbaits is one of them, not to mention carolina rigs and jiggy head worms. Maybe I should just put a couple of down lines down and fish for three pound stripers.

See Ya,
shaw5001

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
I've got a couple. Don't think I've parted with any hard earned cash, but I try to pick one up every time I get a BPS gift cert.:) For my own money 3 rapala baits makes a lot more sense, but its nice to indulge when the opportunity presents itself as a gift!

I've caught several fish on the pointer 128, lots on a deep flat cb, and nothing at all on a bumblebee colored sammy. Pretty reflective of how much I've used each one.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Well I`m not rich so I`m not a lucky craft guy. They are nice though. If I was Pro or money on the line I could talk myself into a couple. The Pointers have won quite a few tourneys. The Sammys are really good at walking the dog.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I just can't see paying that kind of $$ for something so easy to lose. I guess if I tourney fished I might feel differently.... $7 is my limit.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
My criteria for a crankbait or any lure is that it provide realism in size, color, and action. I think that Luckycraft does a great job of providing a quality bait that meet those requirements so, I confess to owning a few. Also, that I don't mind paying extra for quality lures. Many of times have I tossed my money down on what I thought was a bargain only to find that when trolled at greater than a 1/2 knot or a quick turn of the reel crank that the bait would just turn up on it's side. With that in mind the money that I spent on several cheap baits would have bought me a couple of nice fish getters.

All that being said, I have always owned, used and caught fish on Rapala baits. Over the years I have had other brands creep into my tackle bags. Last year, I was down in Galveston Tx on business and was invited to doing a little Speck fishing down on the bay. We stopped by a huge Tackle store there and I asked the salesman what was working in their area. He put me on these Rapala X-Raps. The baits looked good so I said what the heck and bought a few. The Rapalas proved to be just what the Doctor ordered. We got into a school of Specks were we caught a fish on nearly every cast for over three hours.

The bottom line for me is that I look for quality baits and I think that companies like Rapala and Yo-zuri provide me with those baits without spending $20.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
The only lucky craft bait that i purchased is now in the top of a tree in bear creek, go get sundrop, then you can say you have one. too much money for me to do that again, i have friends that think they are the best bait made, but there not on a fixed income like me............chris

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
2 dollar lures catch a lot of fish at my house, I do buy some Rapala lures and a few of this and that but I agree somewhere about 7-8 bucks it plenty for a lure.

In my bass fishing days, 20 years ago, I would not think about it and just buy them. Now days I hold back, I can catch em with out all that hype.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Rapala has built a solid reputation and a vast network of sales so they can offer the quality and keep the prices reasonable and make it up in total sales of product. Smart business!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
When it comes to shallow crankbaits, you can't beat the lucky craft rc's. Bass pro had them on sale for 10.00$ a piece so I bought em up. The jointed wake rc is amazing as well. Lucky craft has some of the best lures on the market , I love megabass lures as well. The jerkbaits are unbeatable, just the weigh the weight system has the bait when suspended is crazy

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I am not a big fan of the Lucky Craft crankbaits, just dont have alot of confidence in them. I do throw the LC Pointer jerkbaits though. I am not scared to put up the money for quality lures.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
The thing about Lucky Craft is that these lures are ready to fish out of the box. When I buy lures from BPS, Norman, Mann, Rebel, etc. I have to tune them before they run perfectly. In fact, all of the higher end Japanese based bait companies make much nicer quality baits than many of the traditional companies. I do like Megabass, which US based, but they are even more expensive than LC.

I buy a lot of LC lures in bulk on eBay and then resell them, so I see tons of these baits and own quite a few. I have never paid more than about $8.00 per lure and typically between $5-$6, so deals are out there. My favorites are some of their crankbaits, pointers, and the Sammy.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I use to have the same thoughts about spending $$$ on expensive lure. Then I bought some of the expensive lures and I can't turn back. They are indeed that much better and worth the price. Do yourself a favor and don't buy any because once you do you'll see the difference and you won't turn back either :D I'm not kidding folks, it's like night and day.

Lucky Craft, Lobina, Sebile, etc. They make expensive lures but they are quality lures. They run perfect out of the box. The action is superb. They come with premium razor sharp hooks. My time on the lake is valuable and I want to catch fish, so I use the best lures and the best hooks. I don't want a 7lb LM to hit my lure and then come off because the hooks are cheap and dull! I think quality lures give you an advantage on today's pressured lakes. If you fish private ponds or areas with little pressure you can get by with cheaper baits with no problems.

I selectively buy cheaper hard baits too don't get me wrong. However I immediately upgrade them by replacing the cheap treble hooks with quality razor sharp Gammy hooks. I replace O rings and make other adjustments to bring them up to the quality I desire. I throw cheaper baits when I shore fish because they are harder to retrieve, however event these have been adjusted with quality hooks, O rings, etc.

Look at it this way. A quality pack of plastics will run you around $5. However they will be short lived and you'll soon buy another pack. A $15 hard bait can last a lifetime as long as you don't lose it. A lure retriever helps avoid losing the lure but it is inevitable. I have a $15 Lucky Craft RC 1.5 that has been beat to death in the Cape Fear. I haven't lost it and the number of bass I catch on that thing is ridiculous.

Anyways, my 2 cents.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
We are lucky (pun intended) to count Lucky Craft as a sponsor for the Hardcore Invitational. I laid it all out (the donated items) last night and took a pic but haven`t uploaded it yet.
Mailed Zoom for some stickers and got in touch with Doug Cox who is a rep for Zoom and Lucky Craft. I`ve come up with a way to give them out before launch instead of after like the rest of the prizes. Be cool if somebody brings in a big one with a Lucky Craft.
Big thanks to them for supporting the tourney and they`ll be a big logo for both on our site for the next year. Already slapped a Zoom sticker on a yak and gonna put a cool vinyl Lucky Craft on the truck.
If you really want ALL the lowdown on Lucky Craft here is the place. Lot of info and will give you a much better idea why they cost more.

www.thedailycrank.com

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have several Sammy's and they are great lures. No doubt. I also have some CLU's that are just as good if not better. My "expensive" lures are all top water or very shallow. I just can't see spending >$15, $20, etc. on a lure than throwing it in/near junk.

With that being said, the Sammy has tremendous action and look great. But, my Raps have great action as well and look pretty good. But, the Sammys come with better, stronger looking hooks, and, the hardware seems to be a little beefier. I will say, and this is not a knock on Rapala, but the consistency of quality of the Sammy's seems to be better. May have to do with the fact I only have a handful of Sammy's and a bunch of Raps, but the finish, fit, etc. just seems to be better across the line and have heard this from others as well.

I think it comes down to confidence. If you feel more confident with a more expensive lure, think you will catch more fish. If you have no confidence with what's at the end of your line, well, results may vary.

I am a firm believer in that you are only as good as your equipment, and, you get what you pay for. Just have to give them a shot (buy, beg, borrow) and see if they really make that big of a difference in your fishing.

Eddie

·
Registered
760 Posts
I have several of the sammy's they are some of the best walk the dog baits out. You get what you pay for... Im not saying that I dont use cheaper baits because theres no better jerkbait than a X-rap. But I truely believe in Custom Baits like the suicide shad.. for a few more $.. I wouldnt every pay more than $20

KMC

·
Registered
85 Posts
It's like anything else in fishing, you get what you pay for. I finally pushed myself to buy a couple (the Skeet Reese model and the RC1.5) and now I absolutely love them. Yes they are expensive, but you get a quality lure that runs true out of the box. The colors and styles of baits are what initially attracted me, as Lucky Craft was the only manufacturer that made what I wanted. I haven't had much time on the water with them yet, but the couple of times I have been out, they have produced when other lures didn't. The true test will be next weekend in the BFL tourney on Norman.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.