NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I ran the York and Baltimore Channel on my jet ski looking for Cobia. I saw two but they sounded before I could send an eel their way. I saw a lot while I was out on the water.
When I got home there was a package waiting on my door step. A couple months ago a gentleman named Les McDonald of Houston Texas asked if he could paint one one my pictures of Black Skimmers. I told him it would be my privilege!
Well low and behold, Les was kind enough to send me a signed and matted print. The water color is amazing! I will get it framed and hang it in my living room with pride.

Here is the painting and original picture.

Fearsome Foursome! I took this off of Poquoson Va. This is the first time I have taken a picture of Four Bald Eagles of different ages in one spot on a beach!

Here is a Juvenile and two year old Bald Eagle.

This Juvenile Bald Eagle landed fifty feet from me, of course I had to take his picture.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Brian it must be nice living where you have the opportunity to take all those bird pics. Of course all the pics on the water are fantastic too. I remember being at my cousin's place on Vancouver Island, BC and the bald eagles there were as thick as goldfinches here.

I just read the article in this months "NC Sportsman" about you and fishing from a jet ski. A great article by Bill Howard. Congrats

What a tribute to your artistic ability with a camera to have another artist to use one of your photos as a basis for his skills with a brush and watercolors. You must be quite proud---your hat still fit?

·
Registered
16 Posts
That stern on shot of the TR really shows the anti-torpedo countermeasures. Sorta looks like a Prairie Masker system set up to mask the screw noises.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
Forgot what you call the anti aircraft, missile dome looking thingies on most all navy ships. I have heard them when they are firing. I think they are 50 cal machine guns, but fire at 50 round per second, so they sound like a mechanical machine running. I was down inside my son's ship once when that weapon was being fired. I knew exactly what it was without even being on deck.

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Forgot what you call the anti aircraft, missile dome looking thingies on most all navy ships. I have heard them when they are firing. I think they are 50 cal machine guns, but fire at 50 round per second, so they sound like a mechanical machine running. I was down inside my son's ship once when that weapon was being fired. I knew exactly what it was without even being on deck.
Sea Witch?

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I think, but not sure, Sea witch may be one of the names the sailors used, but it had another navy sounding name. Could have been used with system. I'll think of it later, maybe. Not sure if my spelling is right, but does Phalanx system sound right to anyone. My son was on a guided missile cruiser. It had 2 of them if my memory hasn't failed me. It has been about 25 years ago. The aircraft carriers had at least 4 of them.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Notice how there are close to a dozen sailors pretending to be working on that jet, yet not one of them are doing a dang thing? They should all get jobs working on highway crews when they get out of the Navy...they are all very qualified for the positions!!!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think, but not sure, Sea witch may be one of the names the sailors used, but it had another navy sounding name. Could have been used with system. I'll think of it later, maybe. Not sure if my spelling is right, but does Phalanx system sound right to anyone. My son was on a guided missile cruiser. It had 2 of them if my memory hasn't failed me. It has been about 25 years ago. The aircraft carriers had at least 4 of them.
The Phalanx system is one heck of a machine-gun. Seen one fire while I was aboard the USS Barbour County, LST-1195 in 1986. Everyone observing from a safe distance were told not to throw anything over-board while the system was activated, especially tin foil, as the eye could mistake it for an enemy aircraft and shoot it to pieces.

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I went on 3 family cruises on the USS Yorktown Battle Cruiser in the early 90s, while my son was serving. While out to sea the phalanx was fired on each of those cruises. I was on deck on 2 of those, and below deck on the other. The sound of the phalanx will stick in your head once you've heard it. Interesting about being told not to throw anything overboard while the phalanx was in operation. I had forgotten that. On one of the cruises, they fired one of the 5 inch guns. Looked like a little pop gun to me, but sounded extremely loud. i then knew why we were given ear plugs. After hearing that 5 inch gun, I was wondering what one of the 20 inch guns would sound like on the battle ships. Has to be awesome.
After taking a closer look at the TR, I see there are more of the phalanx than I was thinking earlier.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts