NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I might run one of my kids down to Hope Mills to spend the day in a week or two and I am looking at various things that are nearby or at least not horribly far away. The 401 access on the Lumber would be about a half hour away:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.9009993,-79.3487331,110m/data=!3m1!1e3

Is that a reasonable place to paddle upstream and/or into side channels/coves/creeks to fish? A couple of pictures tagged to the location (if your view of the link is like mine, they are along the bottom) looks pretty good. Level might be high but I would think/hope I could still find some areas out of the faster current. Any info?

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I've actually stopped in there a few times to just get out and walk around. Normal water level theres not a whole lot of water but enough for a yak or a small jon. It's a fishy looking place. The white rectangular section you see in the picture is actually the old bridge. It was just left in place when it was abandoned. It serves as somewhat of a pier.

Not real sure about the area as far as people leaving your stuff alone or what type of people frequent it. Err on the side of caution. There aint nothing much around.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's the Chalks Banks access part of Lumber River State Park. You can put in a yak there. Portage around downed trees is a common thing on that end of the river.

http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/luri/main.php
Interesting. Actually, what I was looking at is a public ramp (WRC, I think) on the opposite bank. Probably easier access to the water but if parking area looks dubious it might be worth a short carry to park where there are rangers.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Interesting. Actually, what I was looking at is a public ramp (WRC, I think) on the opposite bank. Probably easier access to the water but if parking area looks dubious it might be worth a short carry to park where there are rangers.
It's WRC. Website says only "trailer" parking spaces at that ramp, no paddle access. I wonder if they enforce it.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Be careful in Lumber river, the current in there is strong and that water is cold, even in the summer. I wouldn't fish it by myself. I've live here most of my life. It's where I started fishing. It has some good bass, red breast, blue gill, and crappie. Look for for dead run or still water and fish it. Again be careful, there are many fall tree across the run of the river and some you won't see until your boat is hang on them and that current can turn you over. I know, it happen to me on some trips. That water is black as DEATH, for a reason. Please don't take that trip alone, hope you have fun!!! God bless all.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking into riverrat1's Upchurch suggestion as an alternative if I am solo; if I decide to do this, I was planning to try to get someone to come with or meet me.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I scouted this ramp a few weeks ago. I took a pic of the sign and it seems to indicate kayak launching would be fine. Flow at that time was about double the median and it was really ripping. The river is pretty narrow and at that flow the current would constantly be pulling you into the trees. Chalk Banks is only about a mile from there and the access looks a lot more kayak-friendly. Can't say for sure because it's only open Thursday-Sunday and I was there earlier in the week. Princess Ann is more open with a nice ramp and campsites- beautiful also. Scouting report here: http://evbluesnckayakfishingjournal.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Evan; I was planning to ping you if I got a date firmed up to see if you are interested, though it is kind of the long way around for a not quite full day if I end up doing it. Still want to get down there to do it "properly" one of these days. I am thinking the Upchurch idea might work better when I am in Hope Mills for a day after the feedback so far.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I fished the 401 access for the lumber river a couple times. Nice scenery but not much for fish. Small bluegill, bass, and pickerel. Saw some bowfin but couldn't get them to bite. It's narrow and the current can really pick up in spots. That boat ramp is paddle or jon boat only. Things get narrow immediately above and below the launch.

If Upchurch is an option go there. Be ready for bass, crappie, and carp. The carp are fun and easy to catch and plentiful and have no problem showing you where they are of you bring a loaf of bread. Plenty of bass just up to you to figure out how far up the creek they're holding at what depth. Hooked into what would have been my personal best largemouth there. Let me get one good look at him then dove to the bottom and broke me off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.