NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Don't know about that but the ol rattletrap was a bad man on them this werkend
I have trouble with the rattletrap in shallow water of, say, 3' and less. It gets snagged on the bottom. The reds do hammer these lures big time attack style. I dont know if it annoys them or they want eat it. Are you able to fish it in shallow water?
Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow, didn't know the ol' rattletrap worked in salt like it does in fresh water. I'm new to salt so that's good to know, I'll have to try them. I have some blue/silver rapala rattle traps. What other colors would you try in stained water? Oak Island and Southport, NC seems to always have stained water. It always has a copper color around the islands, creeks and ICW, I guess cause of the Cape Fear that flows into Southport.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
IMO the color matters not at all but that's a different issue. I'm certainly no expert but the rat-l-trap makes so much noise and vibrates intensely and my guess would be that those two induce strikes. Going to try one today. I'll likely have to purchase another tomorrow 😁

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Red X Angler
8,988 Posts
Some lures are timeless in their fish catching ability. Spoons, Rattletraps (and I love the floating ones), Rapala's....all will catch fish in Salt or Fresh water.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I have used the gold Johnson Silver Minnow spoon with good success. But, I had a salesman at Eastern Outfitter in Hampstead sell me a Johnson Sprite gold spoon. (I think that's correct). Unlike the original Johnson, this one has 1 treble hook hanging off the back. Needless to say the hookups are near 100%. It doesn't cast quite as far and it has a little different roll/wobble to it. No problem with the line twisting or anything else. Reds just nail it, along with croakers.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Yes sprite is correct. Probably has a little piece of red plastic on the split ring too. I think they are a little more money than the "minnow"??
They have been around forever or at least as long as I have which is the same.
Never caught a red on a spoon but I need to learn how. I always get hung on the bottom. One thing for sure is that flounder love these spoons too.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
OK. I thought this was the idea. I tried the only one I own yesterday and it is a fast sinking type. I think it is designed to just cast and retrieve quickly. I caught one red on it a while back but since then it's just been grabbing bottom. I'll order a floating type.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Placing any kind of spoon under a cork would inhibit its enticing wobble, unless you burned it fast. Also it would make the spoon suspend vertically, which looks like absolutely nothing appetizing, IMO. They are made for covering shallow water quickly, so i don't see the point. The flash gets their attention and the wobble makes them commited. But hey-- a redfish will hit a cigarette on a hook if he is hungry enough. I have a collection of destroyed popping corks from bigger reds who decided to slam the cork instead of the lure, and bent them all to heck. I'm sure it would work, but i won't be trying it anytime soon

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.