NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I am not a big fan of the Hobby Lobby chain Stores I did find a 5 yd roll of transparent holographic acrylic braided tubing in a large size for $5.00. It was located in their ribbon and bow section and was labeled Designer Ribbon. So far i have only tied one 1/2 oz jig using it. It turned out very good. That one was green over white with lotsa flash of different varieties. I plan on using it on a finger mullet imatation next. Then I plan on trying a needlefish imation. Good looking and tough stuff....
I also picked up 10' of chartreuse 1/8"tygon tubing from the local fleamarket mower repairman. AL

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Al--- With all the money you are saving on materials for lures, you need to apply some of your savings toward a digital camera so that you can post pics for us. They are much easier to use than the old Polaroids. We would love to see your work.:) You might catch a record fish on some of this stuff and with no way to take picture of the fish--we may not believe you without proof.:D

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
574 Posts
Forrest, It's hopeless! Al will never get a Digital. I know you and I aren't the 1st to prod him in that direction. You might as well try to get Mike to use an Electric Chicken and throw away his gulp :eek:.

After I saw those fine looking shrimp, I tried to talk him into it, but he's just too resistant. I'm thinking maybe we outta pass the hat or something :confused:. Even a cheap guy might use something if it's given to him ;).

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's on my to do someday list. Pretty far down I admit. I'm seriously thinking of giving up on the tackle sales which is now just a weekend side line and spending more time on the water. I don't make many of any one thing simply because You can buy lures cheaper than you can make them if you count your time. I just like trying different lures and different methods and places to keep things fresh. Not much chance to get many of them down good enough to take a picture of. If I ever hit on a miracle lure I'll pass some out unless of course you have given me flak about my paranoia of cameras.:D Really I think once you have gained a little knowledge of the fish you are after you can catch them on most anything. If you have confidence in a lure stick with it until you lose that confidence if you want to catch the most fish. I like to fish larger than average lures a lot of the time because I had rather catch a 4lb fish more than 4 one .lb fish. There are times though when an elephant wants peanuts. Small lures though can provide more variety and are often much easier to present properly. The point I'm trying to make is that there is no one set way to catch fish. One reason I make lures is that it is fun just to see if you can make something that they like. Al

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Sinkerman- I've picked up a lot of Fly material at the Hobby Lobby. I just found some poly rug yarn for tying Merkin Crab pattern. I need some more practice but most that I have tied are fishable. It's also a great place for beads, and feathers. Also, for craft foam for Crease Flies and foam bugs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.