NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What type of lures are effective for fishing trout and drum...I usually fish live bait but lately fishing from the kayak I've gotten a good thrill at working areas with all types of lures from spoons to plastics.what are good go to lures everybody likes?

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
The more abuse a lure takes, the better they work. Same thing applies to popping corks, they are just getting broken in and you know for a fact they are making the noise that draws in fish.

Tons of lures can and will catch specks, reds and flounder. You have to have a few to cover the water column and in different colors. You will find one color works great in one area and not so good in another. Water clarity, color and such makes a difference.

Ragged popping cork, those chunks missing is where 3 over slot reds were grabbing, running and letting go of the cork, they did that a dozen times. The jighead was gone, broken off but they still hammered the cork. I would wind to the boat and they would follow and one would grab it.

Fruit Tree Plant Natural foods Fashion accessory

·
Registered
642 Posts
I don't use poppin corks often, mostly just throw jigs w/out them bc I fish mostly skinny water. Do you guys have success using a popping cork in 2 feet of water or so? Maybe less depth? Was curious bc my buddy and I were talking about it, I always felt you needed a little depth for the lure to fall and garner a strike. Would like to use them more though

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I couldn't agree more Scott. I've had identical brand lures, same size, same color. One a catcher that the fish ate the paint off of, and it continued to catch fish-- the other that barely could catch a fish. Popping corks too. Some just make a magic sound.

As a youngster I got chewed out bad by an old salt uncle for repainting (in his words "ruining") a couple of his favorite old Tady jigs that barely had a speck of paint left on them. :)

·
Registered
642 Posts
Using then in a couple of feet, just shorten the leader if you need to. I have caught flounder on a popping cork. Most often I tie a 18 to 24 inch leader from cork to jig head. So works in all sort of depths.
I've adjusted the leader before as well for depth, but I think it's a confidence thing for me because I don't do well when using them. I need to start using them more though a little success would change my tune.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
I think we should all hold a car wash or pancake breakfast this weekend and donate the proceeds to Trigger so he can buy a new popping cork. :) That Top Dog's been roughed up pretty good too! (Spot on advice from Trigger for sure.)
That's my lucky cork. It's a proven fish slayer. I've had more than a few fish eat it, and that top dog jr too.

DOH! Now I see it. Still like the savage though (by itself, without the cork).
Gotta stick with what works for you. I've caught so many fish on the DOA shrimp with and without the cork I'd be a fool to use anything different.

I don't use poppin corks often, mostly just throw jigs w/out them bc I fish mostly skinny water. Do you guys have success using a popping cork in 2 feet of water or so? Maybe less depth? Was curious bc my buddy and I were talking about it, I always felt you needed a little depth for the lure to fall and garner a strike. Would like to use them more though
I've had good luck in really skinny water on a cork as well. I've shortened my leader down to 8 inches in a foot of water and caught fish. Usually on really windy days in super skinny oyster infested water. Toss it up against the grass or oysters and pop it. Not even reeling in just popping and letting them wind keep it in place.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.