NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am soon going to start fishing marshes, creeks, oyster beds, and shallow water in general for redfish and trout (and flounder why not).

I'd like to get a discussion going on proven artificial lures for targetting these species in these environment. Or maybe others prefer to use live bait rigs, which I would be interested to learn about as well.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I like mirro lures , jigs with plastic tails (mostly grubs and shrimp tails) and 1/2oz Johnson sprite spoons, but you should here plenty of other choices. I doubt mirro lure has made a plug that someone somewhere doesn't consider their favorite trout lure. I fish mirrolures more at night and cooler weather so the 52m's are mostly what I use, but I would recommend a selection of 5's and top dogs if you are going to fish the shallows early and late in the day. 52's when they are a little deeper along with a gold or silver spoon. When they are deeper yet, out comes the grubs and trout tails. Reds (puppy drum) will attack a wide variety of plugs but topwaters are more fun and allow you to fish that real shallow water. Grubs and tails I use mainly when they are deep, but they are very versatile and catch flounder as well as reds and trout. (any of these lures will) Jig and tail colors I like are red/white, white/pink, red/green and rootbeerw/ gold flakes in the tail. Mirrolure colors I use are 11,12,18,19,28,51,54,702,704,750,802,chg,and hot pink/silver/hot pink #? Although I have a dozen others just in case. ''WHATS IN YOUR BOX???" BAITS 4"-8" POGIES AND MULLET:)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
sinker man --- You been peeking into my tackle closet? Good choices! My all time favorite lure for all depths is: The 4 inch FIN-S fish (made by Lunker City)on 1/4 oz. lead head. All else fails match the shade of lure with water color, many bait fish are like chameleons and take on the color of water they swim in.

HANG ON!!

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Yes Pablo, buzz baits too! Some of the more popular bass style lures for reds and trout are zara spooks, rattle traps mann's minus-1 and rattling suspending rouges. The spinner bait and buzz baits are really catching on though. The plugs I named all have saltwater versions. Super spook jr.s are pretty darn good in my opinion. I just haven't been using them as long. BTW , whats up with wed. nite chats?

AL

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got my tarpon 120 (see photo of it in thread "Yak fishing NC coast") and it took out this past weekend. It was awesome.

I put in at the harkers island bridge, planning to paddle to the middle marshes to fish for drum.

As I was paddling there, I was trolling a yozuri cristal minnow, and it wasn't 10 mins before my first hookup. How exciting to troll from a kayak!

What I thought was a small tarpon turned out to be a 30 inch ladyfish. Fun stuff when they jump all over the place.

It wasn't long after that when a nice bluefish hit the same lure.

I ended up not making it to the middle marshes, so I pulled into some small grassy islands not far from the bridge, pulled out my Johnson Sprite weedless spoon (as recommended, thank you very much!) and bam, caught a keeper puppy drum.

Not bad for my first kayak fishing trip.

I am loving it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.