NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went fishing yesterday in Hancock and got skunked. apparently I was just ill equipped to catch what was bitting.
There was a guy smokin' the trout using an M something 17 or 19 crankbait type lure. Highly reflective and would sink/suspend. Anyone know what these are?

rye

·
Registered
34 Posts
Rye - the guy was using a MirrOlure 17MR and 19MR, both are suspending twitchbaits. MirrOlure has a great website (Welcome To MirrOLure® | MirrOlure.com). When visitng their wbsite, be sure to click on the catalog option of the left side of the screen and order you a Mirrolure catalog. Also, if you search Mirrolure on this website, you will find many post. MirrOlure is one of my favorite brand of lures, as well as many on this website.

watchout for the tackle monkey!!!!:D:D

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks.. I use mirro lures currently but they are four to six inches in length and shaped like a cigar minnow or mullet. Black back and Green back seemed to work best.. but they are floaters because I work them around grass and structure.. didn't own any that suspend.. gonna have to fix that. j

Thanks!

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
one thing I see right off the bat is that what he was using had buck tail type stuff tied on the rear hook and appeared to have a fatter body.. Looks like the Lumo 17MR

apparently the key yesterday was a slow slow retrieve with just subtle twitches

Hey LEW!!!! you carry these?

·
Registered
493 Posts
A slow retrieve always is a must when the weather is cold. The fish are less active and they don't like to expend too much energy. Patience and slow than comfortable retrieve is the ticket to winter success. Mirrolures are great baits.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Rye, you might want to read the article presented by Breadman in this same forum on Mirrolures. The MR52 is what I prefer to use too. Red/White; Red/Silver; Chartreuse/Gold.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
make sure you get at least one suspending and one floater with an orange belly! Seemed to be the hot ticket around here!!

·
Registered
647 Posts
You have the Mirrolure man here - 17,19.20,&25's are suspenders I use and have here in my shop in various colors. Electric chicken EC is color you are talking about but all work great if worked correctly. 38 & 52'sare sinkers and I have some of the OLD Original 26 and 19's in the 38 series special ordered coming soon. Topwater action also good now and to get better. 7, 16 28, & 74's in all colors are good. There is a new color PS thats awesome.

Come see me - Minnesott Beach Bait & Tackle - across river from Hancock

249-1786

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
The mirror-lure website is great, but I also recommend to order the catalog. I find it invaluable and keep it right here next to the computer.

There are so many styles, shapes and colors I can't keep them apart. When someone mentions a number M???17, I immediately grab the book and thumb thru it and this lets me know what shape, size and colors are availabe and what color is hot.

If you don't know what a 17MR808 or a S7MRBNSBO is you need the book. Actually the last numbers are color numbers and at times people say use the 808 or 26.

Tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I agree with Scott... too much info to pack in my burnt brain..LOL! I've ordred a catalog and jump to the website alot to figure out what people are talking about. Mirrolures are one of the few artificials I use now and have had some success with them and will do more as I use them more I'm sure.

Reactions: Scott Hobbs

·
Registered
647 Posts
the ec has been fishermans favorite - the 808 mine - chartreuse back is awesome and all traditionals water clarity and individual use. I reccomend working slight twitches and pause - working slow. They will ussualy slam when stopped. I am also carrying a feather replacement tail that works great.

Fish starting to move out of creeks - almost time for rattle floats and gulp or doa.

Have all baits and tackle and open schedule on charters.

Safe Fishing

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.