NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed back to Mackintosh to see if we could put to use what we learned yesterday. It's not very often a plan works out, but this day in February, water temps around 40 degrees, it worked to perfection.

We caught these bass, all 5 pounds or better and some 4 pounders, and some 3's to go with it.
The big ones on crankbaits, some on chatterbaits and jigs too.
Water Smile Sunglasses Vision care Lake
Water Lake Fish Boat Fisherman
Water Vertebrate Hat Fisherman Fish

Great day on the water!!!!

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
What did you learn? Enquiring minds...

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Learned where to find the bass. Saturday we were looking WAY too deep. The 8-2 Saturday came about 8 foot deep. The 4-2 came about 3 foot deep.
We saw other guy's fishing in shallow spots we were by-passing because the "book" said no bass in his right mind would be there. Well, we watched them catch fish in those spots!!!!
All those fish Sunday came in 1-2 feet of water.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Learned where to find the bass. Saturday we were looking WAY too deep. The 8-2 Saturday came about 8 foot deep. The 4-2 came about 3 foot deep.
We saw other guy's fishing in shallow spots we were by-passing because the "book" said no bass in his right mind would be there. Well, we watched them catch fish in those spots!!!!
All those fish Sunday came in 1-2 feet of water.
Great day for sure! Actually, the 'book' was right on for you trip. From what I have read if you get a warming trend over a few days that will push the bass up shallow to take advantage of the slightly warmer water.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I saw yall out there.
I didn't fish a whole lot at all. I was mainly kayaking with my girl.
I was in the Blue Kayak with the girl in the orange kayak.
Just moved out there, really had no idea what I was doing.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
That dag on book will mislead you every time. I know a guy who fishes Mackintosh alot and never catches much let alone quality fish. looks like they are in there for sure.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea, that book was wrong this weekend. It is hard to think the bass will be shallow with temps in the high 30's.

Got off work early this afternoon to try Jordan before the rain and cool weather changes things again. Water was 42-43 degrees there. Only got a couple hours in before the rain came. Caught one fat fish and saw another guy catch 2 before the rain hit. I did snag a carp in the back with my crankbait too.

Water Vertebrate Sky Lake Fisherman

·
Registered
184 Posts
I don't know which book ya been readin, but most all the bass I catch this time of yr come from the upper 5 ft of water. if ya check the water temp with a thermometer with a probe you'll find that the upper 5 ft is bout all that warms on these warmin trend days. Great report, glad ya got that biggun!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.