NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started early and saw many fish, but they were cruising and I couldn't quite seem to get anything in front of them. Huge blowup on bait schools. Changed location and picked one up around rip rap. Getting on the shaded bank and the bank getting wind on it seemed to help. Tried something ive never done, but long suspected I should. Wacky rigging. Picked up 4! Having never done this before I had a question. I noticed a couple were hooked a little deeper. One was hooked deep enough he was bleeding. Did the best I could. Hope he makes it. Any suggestions on detecting bites better so I can hook em in the lips?

Bonus was big mama bluegill. Only one I could manage. The rest couldn't fit the jig in there mouths.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Any suggestions on detecting bites better so I can hook em in the lips?
I might be hitting Mack this Saturday, so thanks for the report!
For wacky rigging I like to use 6 or 8 pound braid to aid with bite detection. (I like the small diameter of light braid for this tactic, especially in clear water.) I also try to keep a moderately tight line & always watch the line where it enters the water, in case one swims off with the worm if I didn't feel the bite. Don't be afraid to use a long shank hook either. The fish really key in on the worm & don't seem to notice the hook, or even a weight if using one. I never wait to set the hook if I think I have a bite, like I might if using a Texas rig with a really big worm.

·
Registered
168 Posts
As long as you use a small finesse or octopus hook it won’t hurt them and really easy to get out as long as you don’t have fat fingers. I have caught hundreds of bass this spring on a wacky rig and probably 60% of them have it deep. They rarely even bleed when I get the hook out.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok thanks for the replies. It worked pretty well. I was impressed. I was in a kayak and I think a couple of those fish I was paying attention to steering the kayak and the fish took it in the split second I wasn't focusing. Good luck on the lake!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I watched a video on youtube last night where the walleye angler recommended using a jig head for fishing leeches, instead of a plain hook with the weight further up the line. He claimed the weight on the jig made the fish "mouth" the bait longer, preventing a lot of deeper hooksets.
Ironically, I used a 1/16" crappie jig, that had a wide gap hook, for wacky rigging a 4" slider worm last weekend just because I was too lazy to tie up my normal method. I caught 4 bass & a channel cat in under an hour with zero deep hooksets. There may be something to the youtubers theory!? I think I'll keep testing the jig head method over the coming weeks & report back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts