NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took the holy crap that sure is a beast to move around newly acquired Jackson BigRig out for it's maiden voyage today.

I received the rest of my parts today. That allowed me to install my Dragonfly 7 properly. That's it really. hahahaha. The thing comes ready to fish. Oh, and my anchor.

Now, I am not a small man at 6'1 and 225. It on the other hand was a Beast while on land. I will get a harness if I am going to be dragging it more than 10 feet. And wheels for any distance.

In the water I have to say it performed as well as I could hope for the first time out. I was hoping it was a little faster. I made a steady 3kts on flat water. That was concentrating. I need to fiddle with the seat back for a bit to find my optimum paddling angle. And build those paddling muscles too ;-). Maybe eat my spinach before I go out.

My Dragonfly did a great job of showing me where the fish were not. But it did it in style.

I am heading out to Ebenezer in the morning after dog duty. Will head under the bridge and see what I can see. Will see if I can take a few pictures. Say hi if you see a BigRig out there......

mikeski

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Welcome....I've had my big rig for 6 month's....I love it...great for standing....poling in flats...Stand up Flyfishing....throwing cast nets...flounder gigging ( stand up style )...but u better be ready...they call it Big Rig for a reason....I guess that's why I have 3 other kayaks...their like golf clubs....each one has an application.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a tossup between the Cuda and BigRig. I decided standing was more important. All standing wet well today. Sitting is the tricky part.

I am going to look at a longer paddle also. I have a 240 and I think a 260 would be great. Especially if I want to paddle from the high position. hmmmmm, do they make them that long??

mikeski

·
Registered
96 Posts
Green Hornet Big Rig owner here (about six weeks). I car top mine and it is a chore (I'm 5'9 170 so can be crazy) but have got a pretty good routine down to load and unload. I may end up with a trailer.

7" Dragonfly as well. That depthfinder has already helped me catch deeper fish. I managed a 5th place finish in my first ever kayak bass tournament and all of the fish were 13 feet or deeper. This past weekend I caught a 3+ pounder after finding a brushpile in 15 feet of water right next to a 23 ft. channel. That thing is awesome...........

I found I get a little more speed in the lower seat position but I usually only keep it positioned low when I am heading to my first spot but honestly I can barely break 2.6 knots so 3 is pretty good........

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine is black/green/white.

So far I found...

When loading into the truck bed at a boat ramp that I should make sure I have the thing fully out of the water to load.

I need a departure check list so as not to forget things. (forgot paddles last year, forgot the FF yesterday)

Your towel will not be dry long.

I need a longer paddle.

I was making 2.6 - 7 kts very comfortably. Keeping at 3 takes work. I think the longer paddle will help with the speed and am looking at the Bending Branches Pro Angler in 260cm.

I have done all my paddling from the low position. It has been a comfortable sit so far.

I am going to check out Harris tomorrow if the weather allows. If I split from home by 4 I should have a smooth ride there from Cary. That should give me a couple hours of exploring time.

mikeski...

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
It get less big....but not much...but on the water she is soooo stable...it's almost a boat.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I managed to get out to Harris today. Loading and unloading was not bad. The cuts in the ramp held the kayak from sliding down the ramp when loading. Helpful. I remembered everything too.

The conditions were great with a light wind to start which faded away. I did not see any other paddlers. There were a handful of boats powering around.

With a chop on the water from the wind I was making 2.4 kts or so. WHen it calmed down I was making 3.1 kts and was doing 2.7 - 8 comfortably. I should be able to do 3 with the longer paddle with no problems. It helps to have a clear range to paddle also. No rod holders in the way.

I caught a nice white perch while casting a plug. They are very tasty out of the lake in Maine we go to. How are they here? The water here is probably 14deg warmer than there. Do they come out half cooked?

So far the BigRig is making me happy.

mikeski

1 - 7 of 7 Posts