NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my new kayak out for the first time today and it was a success! Fished a friend's pond near Yadkinville for a couple hours and caught three fish. I figured I get comfortable on a small pond first before maybe taking it out on the Yadkin later this week.

It handled very well!

Used a small popper I tied myself from the 7wt. First fish was a huge shellcracker that fought pretty hard. Caught a decent sized bass too before I finally decided to break out the camera. Finished with the smallish panfish pictured. I probably missed and lost 10x as many fish as I landed, but I guess that's the tradeoff with the fly rod!

Good first time out!

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure yet. Maybe Shoals. I want to try out most of the sections in the area this summer if I can. Do you know how feasible paddling up river is? I ask because I probably won't be able to do true float trips very often, and it would be better if I could paddle upstream a little before floating back down to the access, and vice versa.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Not sure yet. Maybe Shoals. I want to try out most of the sections in the area this summer if I can. Do you know how feasible paddling up river is? I ask because I probably won't be able to do true float trips very often, and it would be better if I could paddle upstream a little before floating back down to the access, and vice versa.
Lots of guys paddle up and fish back down. I'm not sure about that particular area though. I usually don't do a true float either....I either wade/paddle/fish up and then return to my vehicle afterwards. Easier since I don't have to rely on a second person......

I'm sure you'll get some input on that area as it's pretty well known....I haven't paddled it so I don't want to steer you incorrectly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts