NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started tinkering a little on my beach cart when it's just too hot to mix epoxy.

My cart is home made out of aluminum. The problem with these carts is they are too low. Going to raise the height a good 14" or so.
So as this thing comes together I'll post up more pictures.

So far I have welded up an 6.5" lift kit out of aluminum tubing. Not yet installed.
So far I have completed and added to the cart a 10 rod rod holder that will entirely cover the butt of any rod provided it's not over 25" inches long.

Next few days I will be ordering 16" Wheel-Eez wheels with bearings.

Still in the design phase, I new handle and kickstand.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
The rod holders look good.

Any experience with what works best as a soft/rubbery liner for the inside of PVC tubes being used as rod holders on a cart? I have a few rods that I don't like getting banged up when the cart bounces around

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My expensive sticks have a large section of bare blank on the butts. I keep a wrap of colored electrical tape on each one to protect against marring and also different colors of tape for different lengths. One round of the same color on the butt of each tip section.
The rods are the same other than length. The tape let's me know that a tip section will mate with a same color butt section.

The worst thing about PVC is the weight.
At some point when I get this cart close to like I want it, I'm going to build a cart out of tubing. All welded. My rod tree will have aluminum tubes. You can buy the hard plastic or the soft plastic guards for the tops of the tubes.

This cart is bolted together with stainless fasteners so I could move and change things easily. A work in progress. The next one will be welded.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Nice cart. The fan is used a but this time of year I imagine :)
What are you welding your aluminum with? I bought a Miller mig unit about 15 years ago and recently found out it isn't compatible with a spool gun :(

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Miller Synchrowave Tig. I'm no welder but I can make do. I won't be welding a cart I'm putting that kind of money into. Somebody else will. A real welder.
Yes, fans come in handy. Sometimes I get ready to close it all in and climate control the whole thing.....but then I really do enjoy it being all open. I don't have to find and walk through a door to go outside. the only problem then...It shuts me down in the winter. I can't handle cold weather. Winters are rough. 2 disks in the lower back with no fluid, arthritis has moved into the damaged area. I work and lay in zero gravity during the winter.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FishinCary, Got some pictures but also pondered a bit. What about taking rod socks and cutting them in sections that will go down inside the tubes?
My color coordination. Blue with yellow band is 12 footer. Blue is 11 footer. Red is 10 footer. When you got 7 or 8 of these things on the beach it gets kinda confusing.

One of these pictures shows the tip section of the rods slid down into the butt section. Protects the tip and tip section.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So last night took the plywood bottom out. I didnt realize it was 3/4 fir. I thought it was 1/2". It's been awhile and was burning the midnight oil trying to get a usuable cart for a trip several years ago. I probably had a leftover piece of 3/4 from a transom replacement handy.

So I'll either glass a piece of 1/4" fir or see if I have a piece of scrap aluminum big enough.

And...I ordered my axle, wheels, and hardware kit from Wheel-Eez yesterday.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
You like interlines I see. Ever any problems with sand getting inside the blank? That would seem to me as the greatest concern considering they spend much of their time on the beach.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
NEVER! Never had a clogged tube. No problems whatsoever. It's all been positive. Very depressing day when I found out production on them had stopped.

When you get home you pull the plug on the bottom of the tip section, stick the water hose to it and blast away. The tip sections have a little rubber stopper on the butt which keeps water out of the rod butt.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got one 12 footer
One 10 footer and 5 11 footers.

Then my fishing partner has 2 or 3 11 footers I think.

I've been fishing with them for going on 5 years.
When I found out they had quit making them I gave the man that had some input into the rods a call.
Bob down at Red Drum Tackle in Buxton. He had 7 left so between the 2 of us we bought him out 50 cents on the dollar. That 12 footer is a 300 dollar rod. 150 bucks. 11's run around 250 a piece. 10 footer around 200.

They have spoiled me to the point I absolutely hate fishing with a rod that has eyes. I plan to try to get some eyeless Shimanos out of Japan at some point. They are 2 three times the price of the Diawa Interline though.

Saw a 4 rod Shimano eyeless surf rod set for sale for 3,000. No reels. That's steep.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, been busy this week but I found in my scrap pile a piece of aluminum for the bottom. A little heavy but not as heavy as what came out of it.

My initial lift kit wouldn't work without welding it on because of the size of the mounting angle.
So instead of cutting it apart, a made new one and went a little Tim Allen on it. Went from a 6 inch lift to about a 8-1/2" inch lift.
Primary reason is I had planned this around 19" tires. I've dropped back to 16-1/2 inchers. I got my height back.
From the ground to the top of my cooler is going to be about 30".:eek:

I'll get pictures today. Wheel kit gets here Wednesday on a slow truck out of California.
No way was I springing for 150 bucks worth of air freight.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Off topic here but how do those interlines handle shock leader knots?

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They handle them fine as long as they'll pass through the tube. I do a 30 pound braid to a 50 pound mono no problem with an FG knot and could do more. Knot selection is important.

I don't run "shock leaders" though. The only time I do is with a pendulum cast. I don't do much of that anymore with my back problems.

Pulley rigging cuts down on the need for shock leaders as well. The weight side often gets larger line.

As far as a shock leader because of fish.....Hogwash.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, my wheels, tires, axle, and hardware kit have arrived in a slow FedX truck form California. 1 week. So the project is no longer dead in the water. These were critical to finish the cart because I need the final ride height to make the new handle and a fold down kickstand.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Love the tires man! Currently rebuiling a bridge cart, might have ponder those myself.
The problem with the tires is that Wheel-Eez loves loves them too. I've put off buying them for a coupla of years but I was facing a cart mutiny with my main fishing partner so I coughed up the 285 bucks to get them here. Tires, axle, and hardware kit. I knew the axle would be too short but I made a stainless steel axle anyway.

They run 2.5 pounds of air on the low side. 4 pounds max. I think it's around 175 pound load weight per tire. The tire itself is nothing more than a polyurethane innertube with a two piece poly hub that bolts together in the center.
Tires are repairable with a soldering iron. Even a slashed tire can be fixed by vulcanizing the poly with a soldering iron. They send a little packet of bits of the material they are made out of to use as solder. Replacement tires are available without having to buy the hub again and I'm almost certain I could go with the larger 19" tire with the same hub.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts