NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If some of you are interested I think we could get Capt. Brian to write an article on becoming a Lic. Capt. I know most people think it is only for chartering, but there are many well paying jobs for someone who has there Lic. full and part time. Not that any of you have a problem with the tackle monkey and trying to pay for that habit! Speaking of articles can we respond to articles, ask questions, etc. or just read them?

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Speaking of articles can we respond to articles, ask questions, etc. or just read them?
You can reply to post in our Articles section and to entries in the blogs too. Just keep in mind that many of the posts in the articles section are posted by staff after having obtained the permission of the author. The author may not be a NCAngler member, so you might not get a reply from the author directly. Some of the articles have links to the author though and you can contact them that way.

Blog entries are a different story. Those are all written & posted directly by the blog captains.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I know a guy who's got a sailboat captain license, and occasionally captains delivery cruises... He flies to either the seller's or the manufacturer's port and sails to the buyer's port, then flies home.. Sounds like a sweet deal to me!

Reactions: NCPIERMAN

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I know a guy who's got a sailboat captain license, and occasionally captains delivery cruises... He flies to either the seller's or the manufacturer's port and sails to the buyer's port, then flies home.. Sounds like a sweet deal to me!
I wouldnt mind a gig like that doing powerboats for the "Snowbirds". Might be an excellent idea!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Same here Sundrop, I stick to Powerboats only.
I have towed and or salavaged sails and understand the theory but wouldn't dare try the the actual sailing.
But you are right I have delivered, maiden trip, etc. And have had a great time, have even been able to take my family along sometimes.
Now I mostly work for Sea\\Tow when I want part time work on the water they have been the best sofar to work for.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Obviously, SEA\\TOW is the best bet to use your captains license and we ALWAYS NEED CAPTAINS! But there are a ton of jobs to be had simply delivering boats. Many of the people who buy these boats, even on Lake Norman and Lake Wylie are either too lazy or too busy or too scared to take their new 30' boats off a trailer and drive them to their docks. But especially at the coast, dealers and buyers are paying good money for licensed captains to drive and deliver new boats up and down the ICW and elsewhere.
Getting your license only costs a couple hundred dollars and they run all of the classes at night and on weekends if you have a full time job. All you need is to be 18, a US Citizen, 360 days of documented time on the water (90 in the last 3 years), and the time to take the class and you can get the basic license which is the OUPV (or six-pack as it is commonly known). If you want a "Near Coastal" (up to 100 miles off shore) license you need to have 90 days in near coastal waters (off shore or past the coast guard demarcation lines for offshore waters). They also provide tow endorsements, sail endorsements, and the more days you have underway on a vessel the better and bigger license you can get.
They teach toward the test so the chances of you failing at the end are pretty slim.
With a captains license, you can obviously tow boats, deliver boats, charter boats, and make a living or earn money part time on the water. But the best part is that now everyone has to call you "Captain". If anyone has any questions, let me know. Here's a link to one of the highest rated schools for this kind of thing.

Frm-Home page

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I'm looking into this!! Thanks!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sundrop, if you are interested I would be glad to let you look over my study materials. I got my first lic. from wegivethetest.com. and was very happy. I will send Capt. Larry from there a call and see if he would be interested in a NCAngler sponsorship.
But if I can help just let me know.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
IM VERY VERY INTRESTED IN MY 6 PACK LISCENCE AND HAVE A FRIEND WHO IS GONNA HELP ME WITH THE FUNDS SO I CAN START AN INSHORE GUIDE FOR DRUM TROUT AND FLOUNDER OR WHAT EVER ELSE I CAN GET INTO ANY INFO AND HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED I CAN BE REACHE BY EMAIL AT [email protected] THANKS IN ADVANCE

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
IM VERY VERY INTRESTED IN MY 6 PACK LISCENCE AND HAVE A FRIEND WHO IS GONNA HELP ME WITH THE FUNDS SO I CAN START AN INSHORE GUIDE FOR DRUM TROUT AND FLOUNDER OR WHAT EVER ELSE I CAN GET INTO ANY INFO AND HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED I CAN BE REACHE BY EMAIL AT [email protected] THANKS IN ADVANCE
PM on the way!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Sundrop, if you are interested I would be glad to let you look over my study materials. I got my first lic. from wegivethetest.com. and was very happy. I will send Capt. Larry from there a call and see if he would be interested in a NCAngler sponsorship.
But if I can help just let me know.
Yes I'd like to check that out too!! [email protected] !!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Opportunities for licensed captains doing boat deliveries on Lake Norman?

PLEASE tell me more!

I have always wanted to sit for the test, but never had much of a reason other than just wanting the ticket. But if there is a way to earn some money without leaving home, I am all ears.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The money and the need are with the bigger boats, Sea Ray, Regal, Cruiser, etc. over 30 ft. These boats usually aren't on the lake when purchased, rather they're trailered from another location, launched and then they must be taken to either a marina or a home dock. Often, the purchaser of this boat is working at the time of delivery or too lazy or too scared to drive the boat from the ramp to the dock. That's where the licensed captain comes in. That's a big expensive boat that the dealer and the new owner would rather have under the command of someone who's professionally trained and licensed no matter how benign the waters may be. Furthermore, while you aren't technically REQUIRED to be a captain on Lake Norman to perform this service (because it's a non-navigable waterway and thus not under Coast Guard jurisdiction), The Lake Norman Marine Commission is taking steps to require that any person involved in a commercial capacity (i.e. chartering, delivering, towing boats) on the lake be a licensed captain. This requirement is still months away, but it is coming so it's better to be prepared. The way to get hooked up with this gig is to visit and speak to the major dealers, Tally's, Sea Ray, HQ Marine (Cruiser Yachts), and Lake Norman Marina among others.
Also, once the vessel is delivered, many of the owners will pay a licensed captain just to take the boat out on a regular schedule to put an hour on the engines and stretch her legs a little bit. It's preventative maintenance. The only way to get this gig is through word of mouth or advertising with dealers/ marinas.
BUT DON'T FORGET THAT YOU CAN TOW BOATS FOR SEA TOW TOO!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't have the license, but know that lake like the back of my hand.

Towing for Sea Tow never crossed my mind (don't want to paint my boat yellow) LOL!

Are there opportunities?

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
The Lake Norman Marine Commission is taking steps to require that any person involved in a commercial capacity (i.e. chartering, delivering, towing boats) on the lake be a licensed captain. This requirement is still months away, but it is coming so it's better to be prepared.
That sounds like a big hit to the fishing guides, and worse, a paddling outfitter or instructor...

I saw a magazine editorial column in which the Highway Patrol busted a guy for his fishing boat being over size limits without weighted tags (that part doesn't seem to controversial) and then had to determine whether he was subject to commercial highway requirements since he'd just won a sizable sum in a fishing tournament.

Is the LNMC making a statement about whether competing in a tournament with cash prizes falls into the scope of commercial capacity?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I used to pay pretty close attention to the LNMC, not much anymore though since I don't spend as much time up there as I used to.

They have been talking about adopting the same for hire rules on Norman as those that are in effect on navigable waters.

Tourney fishermen would not fit that category only those operating a vessel on a for hire basis (charters, guides, delivery captains, sight seeing tours etc..)

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
OK. It seems like the paddling outfitters will still get the shaft, unless there's an exemption for non-motorized vehicles.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't believe there is a motorized / non motorized exemption but paddling would involve leading other boats right?

In other words, there would be a guide who would be followed in other boats by his clients?

If so, that is not a vessel for hire situation since they are on different vessels.

Might want to check with the USCG on their for hire rules since that is what the new regs will be based on, but I think the paddlers will be ok.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.