NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this last year but can't find it to bump it to the top so here it is again for those of you interested in making your own Old Drum Rigs.

I just finished making up some new drum rigs and figured I would post a how to for those of you that have never done it. It is super easy, and much more cost effective than purchasing them from the store. Here goes...
First you'll need to buy the materials or
maybe, you already have them. You'll need: 2 or 3 oz egg or flat no roll sinkers, 8-14/0 circle hooks, 8 mm beads, 80-100 pound mono leader material, 90-100 pound barrel swivels (I use size 5 Billfishers) and size 1.0 barrel crimps.
. Snell your circle hook with the leader material making sure to leave enough line to make the test of your rig. If you don't know how to snell a hook, YouTube has a bunch of videos that will show you. Next you will need to add your crimp
then add a bead
from there add your sinker
add another bead
then add your swivel
. Now you are going to run the tag end of your leader material back through the bead, sinker, bead, and crimp. Pull everything tight and make sure the distance between the sinker and hook is less than 6 inches. I like mine to be 3-4 inches
crimp it tight and lastly make sure you mash down the barb of the hook. Once completed your rig should look similar to this

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Trigger, I make mine the same way except for the weight. Alot of times I use a no roll. Other rigs I'll peg the fish finder there.
I also use on a drum rig a nylon thimble on the swivel so as I pass through the swivel my line is not bent at 180 degrees upon itself over the wire of a swivel.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
The purpose of having a non sliding egg sinker is to keep the leader short. The ideal leader length to avoid deep hooking in the studies done by Mr. Lupton was 3". Please note the State mandated rig that some call a Lupton Rig is not a Lupton rig as the leader is longer then 3".

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
^^Guess it'd be better to call 'em Lupton type rigs.............

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I have some glow in the dark powder coat I want to try on my sinkers this time.

Reactions: papadave

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Alot of the swage tools are one and the same with a different name. I prefer one with the 2 wire/ line cutting slots on the sides. As an example, I don't know the name of mine right off hand, but it's the exact same swage tool with the Jinkai name brand, just different colored grips.
For heavier rigs like shark rigs I use the bolt cutter style swage tool. Always wanted a bench swager like you see in some lure bars just never got around to springing for one.

Swage tools are somewhat of a precision type tool just like a set of heavy electrical crimpers or even PEX pipe fitting crimpers.
I wouldn't scrape the bottom of the barrel when shopping around for one. 25-35 bucks will typically get you into a good set of hand crimpers.

·
Registered
591 Posts
"They're the kind of thing that happens during the off season when visions of bull drum start dancing in your head"

Waaaaay too many visions....but that may just be from the paint fumes.. ;)

20140715_223128.jpg

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I can vouch for Bruces Bull Candy I watched him catch at least 5-6 on them in a couple hours.

"They're the kind of thing that happens during the off season when visions of bull drum start dancing in your head"

Waaaaay too many visions....but that may just be from the paint fumes.. ;)

View attachment 63880

Reactions: Rod Wielder

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Lots of fishing stores carry the no roll type sinkers.

Nice setups, easy to tie and good to have plenty on board just in case.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts