NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this on another site and I find it interesting. I have owned three different Malibu boats, and the biggest complaint was the weight, width, hull slap and tough to paddle (due to weight and width).

I have not paddled this particular boat, but from the specs and the photos it looks like they have made some nice changes to the overall design and as I mentioned on another thread, they have great "fishability". They make a good stable platform and have always been extremely comfortable for a day on the water.

Edit for specs as listed: 13'10", 29 inches wide, 58 lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
884 Posts
I love Malibu Kayaks. Probably my favorite kayak ever was my old eXtreme. I never got to try the X-Factor. This new 13 footer looks good. I like the low profile gator hatch, which is my understanding now comes standard. The new bow looks good too.

·
Registered
597 Posts
It's got some nice looking lines. I'm glad to see a shift into a more useful bow area. If the bow well isn't insulated it'd probably help to have more of a light reflective gator cover - but understandably, they'd probably have to make more than one color to agree with other colors of their boats.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Make it for the full grown man

Long, sleek and plenty of flotation inside, it must hold at least 350 or 375 pounds total weight. :eek: I'm about 6-1 and 300, so with clothes and tackle it would be close to 350.;)

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Make it for the full grown man

Long, sleek and plenty of flotation inside, it must hold at least 350 or 375 pounds total weight. :eek: I'm about 6-1 and 300, so with clothes and tackle it would be close to 350.;)
Ocean Kayak's "Prowler Big Game" claims a weight capacity of "550-600". Malibu eXtreme advertises "max load 525 lbs". Either of those will give you enough room to keep a fish or two.

Prowler Big Game Angler™ - Perfect for going after the "big one" - Ocean Kayak
Kayaks for Fishing and Diving, Sit-on-top Kayaks, Malibu eXtreme

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There are a couple of boats for the "big" guys. I have a couple of friends who fish from kayaks that are around your size. The weight isn't really the issue, it is being comfortable sitting all day and the design of the cockpit (seating area).

There are a couple of boats if you were serious about trying to kayak fish that would work. The Malibu eXtreme, the Ocean Kayak Big Game or Trident, and I think the Cobra Fish and Dive. A Wilderness Systems Ride also might work. I am not sure if Heritage or Native offer something that would work. There are plenty of over 6'2" and over 250 guys who use Tarpon 140's as well.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I think I saw on Big Water's Edge website that the capacity is 450 or 475.

I don't consider myself small. I weigh 230 lbs and have found several kayaks that were dry rides for me. Phoenix 160, Phoenix 130, new Ride 135, Manta Ray 14, and the Malibu eXtreme all held me and my gear without water in the footwells.

You big guys don't be shy. They'll hold you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.