NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where is the best place to get a good map(s) of inshore areas including creeks that are labeled to use when I go down to fish around Wrightsville and north up to Rich's inlet? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm heading down to Figure 8 agin in 2 weeks and would like to potentiall fish some creeks.

·
Registered
275 Posts
hey , first off welcome to the site. tex`s tackle off of eastwood rd has some aerial photo maps of this area for about 20 bucks. But they are not marked with the names of the creeks,I`m sure they would be glad to show you where is what on them....fish hard paddle far

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Of course, there's Google Earth and Live.com, among others... The particular areas will vary, depending on how detailed their respective photos are. And I noticed at Provision Co, they've got a kiosk set up with a map-printing system endorsed by National Geographic, it looks like you can center your own map whereever you want it... I've never used it, tho..

Good luck
Lefty

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a bunch for the info. A stop at Tex's Tackle is always on the list when I go down. They have been very helpful in the past and have given me good information, not to mention they have been more than helpful in feeding the tackle monkey that constantly tags along with me....

·
Registered
870 Posts
Google Earth is the most updated of all arial maps. They include the name of a lot of the creeks too. When you stop by Tex's talk to Chris. He has recently taken up kayak fishing and can give you some help. Also stop by Cape Fear Kayaks and see if Chris (another Chris), Ross, or I am there. We don't work there but hang around all the time. They'll help you out a bunch.

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Forget Google Map when it comes to the names of channels and small creeks in the Topsail and Figure Eight area. Can't speak for the rest of the map. Google has the right names in the wrong places so to speak. The major creeks are right but not the smaller ones nor many of the channels. Best to ask a local like Druminator says.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Even the charts have a couple of major mistakes in that area. Of course over time things change and move around a little but there is always a little confusion and disagreement regarding names. Once you have paddled that area several times you will get a good feel for the area though. Pay close attention to the tide stage and plan ahead to keep from having to fight the tide to get where you want to go, especially during spring tides. AL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.