NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Weeeeellllll been a while since I've done a report but trying to stay as active on here as I can. Been pretty busy on weekends so haven't had as much time to get out and try my luck but also haven't had anything super worthy or reporting.. Tried to get out on any "nice day" where I have some free time but can't 100% remember exact conditions of last 4-5 trips or so, all were ~60-80 degree ambient temps with fairly heavy winds in varying directions. I know towards the beginning of March I like many others was dealing with pretty dirty water and it's finally started to clear up a bit. I have still been trying to practice and get better/more confident with spinner baits and chatter baits but also gone back to my finesse roots because that's seemed to be having the most production as of late. Have had some decent success with weightless worms since everyone seems to give it good reviews but with the amount of windy days (Also with throwing it on braid) it pretty much puts that out of the equation. I normally like to put unpegged tungsten bullet weight on with my worms anywhere from ~1/16 ounce to 1/10 ounce.

As far as location of fish I've had best luck recently pushing up in coves, on points, and on structure. Best fish I had but then lost was slow rolling a white & chartreuse spinner bait down a downed tree that I've found some decent one's on in the past. Hoping that I'm due for at least a four pounder any day now and most likely when she comes I'll be uploading a picture or two. I attached a couple pics of some of the average size I seem to be catching most of lately.

I'm a monthly subscriber to 6th sense bags and they sent a new drop shot soft plastic last month so I'm thinking about trying out some drop shot action. I've never done it before so if anyone has any tips that would be greatly appreciated. I get the basics of it I suppose but imagine like with any presentation there's plenty of nuances that you learn overtime.

Hope everyone has been catching bigger ones than myself and I'm sure I'll carve some time out for another trip this weekend and keep the fingers crossed - tight lines all.

Attachments

·
Registered
690 Posts
A few tips for drop shotting:

Hook your plastics to swim true. Reeling in with a bait twisting up your line will exhaust your patience quickly.

Use light line, no more than 8# test in dinghy water, 6# in most conditions.

Use a large split shot instead of a super duper high tech tungsten iridium coated weight that has been soaked in holy water at the Vatican for 24 hours.

Leave the tag end below the hook around 20". Tie an over hand knot in the end, to keep the split shot from sliding off the line in case the sinker snags. This will keep the shot from sliding off the line easily if it gets snagged, but allow it to make adjustments how far the sinker is below the hook by sliding it where you want it to be. The line hanging below the split shot makes no difference to the fish where I fish, but I only fish for the dumb ones.

Start with sinker around 15" from the bait. Some days closer is better, some days more distance is better. You have to test.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A few tips for drop shotting:

Hook your plastics to swim true. Reeling in with a bait twisting up your line will exhaust your patience quickly.

Use light line, no more than 8# test in dinghy water, 6# in most conditions.

Use a large split shot instead of a super duper high tech tungsten iridium coated weight that has been soaked in holy water at the Vatican for 24 hours.

Leave the tag end below the hook around 20". Tie an over hand knot in the end, to keep the split shot from sliding off the line in case the sinker snags. This will keep the shot from sliding off the line easily if it gets snagged, but allow it to make adjustments how far the sinker is below the hook by sliding it where you want it to be. The line hanging below the split shot makes no difference to the fish where I fish, but I only fish for the dumb ones.

Start with sinker around 15" from the bait. Some days closer is better, some days more distance is better. You have to test.
Thanks for the tips man, will be trying this out soon. Also got a great kick out of your tungsten description... haha

Here's to bringing the dumb fish on the bank soon! Hoping to get some time out there this weekend.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts