NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year everyone.
A couple of us are interested in hiring a guide that can help us learn how to target and catch (duh) trout and drum if they’re around in March. We do pretty well in warmer weather but cold water fishing has been challenging. I’ve done the normal searches to find some but really wanted to hear from this group if you have any standout guide recommendations for someone in the New Bern area. Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2020 Ford Ranger
165 Posts
March in eastern NC isn't really cold water fishing, it's the start of the hot trout bite. It is the time to be trouting as the big boys and girls are stirring and beginning to feed actively in preparation for the spawn. I usually catch my first limit between mid- to late-March. The reds are also beginning to stir things up a bit in the surf but haven't really made it that deep into the sounds, rivers and creeks yet. As for guides, ehhhhhhh....just use what you know, points and moving water, oyster beds, mud flats warming in the evening sun. I'm counting down until the season begins...63 days until it gets busy!

·
Registered
145 Posts
March in eastern NC isn't really cold water fishing, it's the start of the hot trout bite. It is the time to be trouting as the big boys and girls are stirring and beginning to feed actively in preparation for the spawn. I usually catch my first limit between mid- to late-March. The reds are also beginning to stir things up a bit in the surf but haven't really made it that deep into the sounds, rivers and creeks yet. As for guides, ehhhhhhh....just use what you know, points and moving water, oyster beds, mud flats warming in the evening sun. I'm counting down until the season begins...63 days until it gets busy!
Gotta give those guides their due though. They can really help put you on fish, and that makes for a great experience. I’m still learning after 5 years of dedicated fishing. A guide got me started on subjects including species, areas, baits, equipment, knots, etc. Money well spent.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Ranger
165 Posts
Gotta give those guides their due though. They can really help put you on fish, and that makes for a great experience. I’m still learning after 5 years of dedicated fishing. A guide got me started on subjects including species, areas, baits, equipment, knots, etc. Money well spent.
I won't say that guides are not useful but let's just say that their strength is they know their waters... Take a Pamlico river guide up to the Alligator and you'll discover they're just like the rest of us...they know how to read the waters and can pick out areas that might hold fish but they can't guarantee you fish like they would if you were fishing one of their holes in the Pamlico.

Bruce

·
Registered
145 Posts
Happy New Year everyone.
A couple of us are interested in hiring a guide that can help us learn how to target and catch (duh) trout and drum if they’re around in March. We do pretty well in warmer weather but cold water fishing has been challenging. I’ve done the normal searches to find some but really wanted to hear from this group if you have any standout guide recommendations for someone in the New Bern area. Many thanks in advance!
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
26 Posts
Happy New Year everyone.
Try Paradise Shores Adventures in Oriental. Wayne Dunbar or his son Blake. He's a commercial guy so he knows where to catch them. 252-670-0937. They have a Facebook page as well. Here's one he caught last October.
Water Smile Shorts Boat Sky

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, thanks everyone. A lot of distractions came my way and I didn’t get a chance to log back on here to let you know I appreciate the input. Heading that way March 19 weekend weather permitting and will let you know how we did.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts