NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering how many of you guys use the marine radios (like a cb for a boat I guess) that are out there? I've been kicking around getting one to listen to the chatter (if any) on them while fishing on Jordan or some of the larger lakes. For those that have them I'm looking for some advice on brand and hand held vs. mounted. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Mike
Take a kid outdoors!

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
If you are going on the ocean, a good VHF radio is a must - cell phones don't work off shore so a vhf radio is your communications link.

I have a fixed radio in my boat and carry a handheld as a back up although they won't transmit as far. On the lake you could get away with a handheld.

I like the ICOM radios but some of the other brands work fine too.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Icom for hard mount VHF would be my recommendation and for handhelds I really like the Uniden 250 vhf.

When on the lake, I'll have the boats main radio on scan 16/68/69 and I'll leave the handheld on Ch16

Marine VHF is the way to go, especially if you need to hail for help or assistance. It's the standard marine communication and required.
CB or Citizens Band radio is basically a short range type radio/receiver that is for personal communication, usually for road/highway travel or even offroad and for some hunting/camping type communication.

CB radio is not in wide use or available to provide help or assistance if you get in trouble on/near/around the water or waterways...

There's been some pretty decent and informative past posts on here if you do a search (VHF - DSC - MMSI - hand held vhf... ect...)

Hope that helps! ;)

·
Registered
328 Posts
I bought an inexpensive Midland handheld like they sell in Basspro Shops and Cabelas. It came with lots of accessories and the price was right. It works fine, but I don't think it has much range. If I had a larger boat, I would definitely get a permanently mounted one, just for the extended range. I also have a problem with interference from my depthfinder.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
True, VHF is line of sight, so higher the antenna the better range you'll get.

ANY radio is better than NO radio! (VHF that is) ;)

Just remember, dont radio check on Ch16 as it's for emergency comm only.. CH 68 or 69 would be good start for channels to do a radio check. ;)

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
One thing to keep in mind too if you are using a handheld as a back-up, considering buying one with an external antenna connection option (still has the built in antenna) and then the buy the adapter to connect it to your external antenna. Two big factors in distance for VHF are power output and the antenna (esp. height but also construction, cable type, etc). The antenna is often overlooked but can make a BIG difference.

When I first bought my boat the dealer installed one of those little 3' skinny jobs on top of my console rail. Later I replaced it with an eight foot high quality fiberglass model and man what a difference - it over doubled my range on the water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.