NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This past weekend, we hit a submerged object and put a nasty gouge down the entire length of my fiberglass hull bottom. The gouge is about as wide as a finger and 1/16 to 1/8 inch deep. Goes through the gelcoat and digs into the fiberglass just a little.

This is a 19-year old boat, although it is excellent shape. I just repowered it and put a new trailer under it last April.

After looking at my options, looks like I may tackle it myself with Marine Tex.

Any advice, tips, opinions, or warnings?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
If you dont want to have it re-gel'd (Gelcoated), then marine tex will work and work very well.

They do sell a pre-mix gel coat though that you could simply sand out the damaged area and rough it up a bit, then putty knife on the gel coat and then sand it down.

or,, you could do the same thing with Marine Tex.

The thing I like about Marine Tex is it's a little thicker and wont sag/run as much as the Gel Coat repair stuff. Marine Tex is a two part epoxy,, so if you go that route, it heats up a little and produces some fumes, so be in a well ventilated area.

Marine Tex is easy to work with but use what you need to fill the gouge/gap as you have to sand off the excess to blend back in with the hull surface. If you've ever sanded it... it's a pain!!

I Marine Tex'd a 1 ft x 2ft gouged section of a jet boat hull right before the intake grate and on the pad of the boat where it had struck hard bottom when I bought it from the previous owner. Prep and rough up of the area and sanding the Marine Tex down was the hardest part.

The repair when done, will be stronger than any other area on the boat.

Best of luck!

if you're near Winston Salem,, and want to have a gel coat repair done for ya (Certified factory authorized gel guy)... me know and I'll pass ya the contact info. They guy is great and does awsome work,, though might take a while, but when you get it back, it's like it never happend.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
That's a pretty long gouge, musta been running hard. Looks very fixable too.

Hey Dave - can you color match that marine tex too?
As far as I know,, Marine Tex comes in White or Gray.. that's it.

The white on the bottom,, I wouldnt worry about it, especially on a older boat. Form, fit, function.

That gouge is about what I had picutred.... so it's a little bit of work, but somethin that should take you a good day to fill in, let sit overnight and re-attack with sand paper the next day.

the key though is the prep... sand/rough up that gouge and clean it as best as possible, then get to applying the Marine Tex.

To get under that center bunk area, might have to use a bottle jack and a piece of wood to lift the boat up a little from the trailer - just be carefull doing it and chalk the wheels on the trailer for sure.

It looks bad,, but can be fixed up. A good gel guy could fill and blend all that in like new.. but would cost ya some $$$. If it's an older boat and nothing structural was damaged and you plan to keep the boat for a while.. I'd say go for the Marine Tex. (get the big box!!) ;)

Good luck! let us know how it turns out for ya.

You'll definately want to get a small thin putty knife, mix up the MT per the box instructions and get it to a paste consistency then apply.

Put some news paper over anything you dont want to get marine tex on.. I.e. bunks, trailer frame... etc...

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Looks like Dave has you on the right track so I'll just "second the motion" LOL!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.