NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you use them? Thinking of getting a few to use in marking brush crappie fishing or a ledge striper fishing. My cheap fishfinder on my yak pretty much only shows what's directly below me and anchoring directly over a brush pile wouldn't be a good idea and a challenge as well. I think marker buoys would be the ticket.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I have a couple I use from time to time. I can mark a spot then anchor off beyond it and fish it. When you find any kind of fish stacked up its good to be able to mark it and fish it hard.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I carry 4 of them in my boat and use them alot when I fish offshore, they are essential for marking structure. By dropping them the same way every time, knowing where my buoys are in relation to my sonar transducer and which way the boat was traveling I know exactly where to cast to be in the structure.

I also use them to mark boat position when I am fishing a larger area offshore. As soon as I hook a fish I drop it right next to the boat. That way if I drift off the spot when I am unhooking fish or retying I can go right back to the same spot and keep casting to the same place where the school is at.

In the summer time if fishing is slow, you can drop one and go about 50 yards away and watch the pontoon boats drive up to it and look at it or other fishermen run it over and hit the waypoint button on nothing.:D

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
In the summer time if fishing is slow, you can drop one and go about 50 yards away and watch the pontoon boats drive up to it and look at it or other fishermen run it over and hit the waypoint button on nothing.:D
Too funny!

I use a couple of them. Got the hint from the sonar instructional DVD's I wasted money on; when I run over something I want to mark, I drop one by the boat, keep moving the same direction and drop another. Then I have a line to follow to get lined up on the structure. Works better than a single buoy, where you then have to try recall what angle to cast from the marker. If you're casting 30 feet, even a few degrees off and you won't hit your mark. The straight line of two buoys keeps that from happening.

I don't use them that often, but when I need them, they are invaluable.

Reactions: sundrop

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
That's why 2 of mine have been repainted dark green :) hard to spot from very far away.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.