NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my fishin buddies (we'll call him Marvin because I can't see protecting the guilty) accepted an invitation to try Tournament style carp fishing. The tournament was at a carp only lake known for its large payouts. He went with a couple of guys in their late teens who had been doing pretty good at the smaller lakes. A three way split was agreed on for all money won. Well Marvin wins 7 $100 spots, one of the other guys wins 1 $100 spot. Needless to say he was hooked. His luck held out for about 3 more trips but the returns kept getting smaller. Finally after a trip without any wins he conceeded that it was time to change up his bait. For those of you who haven't expierenced this type fishing the bait is usually floating trout chow or millet treated in a hotwater bath to make it sink and then mixed with some "top secret" ingredient to give it a unique ingredient that the fish you are fishing for will not associate with getting caught.All sorts of flavorings and condiments are tried until one works. Carp have good memories and it is a serious effort that usually pays off. Well Marvin's wife was talking to his brother's wife and the Sister in law told Marvin's wife that their son in Georgia said that the winning baits down there at the time had Ben-Gay arthritus creme in them. The next week they were talking again and the sister in law says "Boy I bet Ol' Marvin is mad as fire at me. I'll bet he put that stuff in there and scared them fish out of the water." His wife started laughing and when she got to the point where she could talk she said "The jokes on you this time. He used that stuff and won $320." and he did. They paid out $40.00/spot for 16 spots and he won exactly half of them. Not only that, but the next weekend he did well also, AL

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Al--- You need to post this story on one of the UK fishing sites-- They could flavor their BOILIES (carp baits) with BEN GAY and you may wind up being one of their all time heroes.:)

Forrest

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I've seen once a carp is caught on a bait once or twice he associates that smell with getting caught and rejects it. They get so educated in those carp ponds that it really takes some work to find something that most of them will eat. All of the fish are released unharmed back in the pond to be caught again. After a short time they become pretty educated in avoiding hooks. Pond owners usually replenish their ponds regularly to keep a mix of old and new carp to keep it from being too slow. Also in a pond where new fish have not been added you see a lot more tournaments being dominated by one person. When one guy can win half the money you either add fish or lose fishermen. AL

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Yuk, I hope that doesn't lead to a new flavor of gummy worms.
Forrest, do you have room on that hat of yours for a dab of ben-gay?
Lefty

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.