NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished from 3pm - 700pm today and got skunked. Two fishermen down the beach howeve were pulling Bluefish out of the surf. They were casting both beyond the breakers and in between the breaks. I used my zoom lens to identify what they were fishing with and catching. They were using basic bottom rigs and what I think was shrimp but can't be sure. The air temp was 70 and the wind was very moderate from the east. The tide was rising. I have attached a picture of one of the bluefish and one fish they caught that I don't think was a blue. Can anyone identify the fish. Has a head like a drum. They packed up before I could walked doen to talk to them. I have cropped them out since I don't know them.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
I can't really tell,.......

I plan on being on Topsail at that end not this weekend but the following, arriving on Friday and staying until Sunday. Plan on doing some surf fishing and maybe hit Surf City Pier for some spanish...they should be in good by then..

tight lines

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I was fishing near the Gray Street public access in NTB which is across from the NTB fire dept (the first one from Surf City going North). Two plus miles north of Surf City in the old Ocean View Beach/pier stretch.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I think the second pic is a shark..

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Sundrop.
I thought maybe it was a shark when I looked at the pics when I got home but as I was watching on the beach, the fish did not flop like a shark when landed and the fisherman kept it. He sliced the fish open near the head/gills in the surf just after he released the hook from its mouth. He did not do that with the bluefish. I have only had shark at a friends house and do not know what you do to bring them home to eat.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Some fishermen will kill a shark, they consider them a nuisance fish... Some will also slice them to make them bleed and draw more sharks... No telling what was on his mind..LOL!

Reactions: Hampster

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
OH I misread I thought he cut it and released it... My bad!

Reactions: Hampster
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.