NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Summer of 72 Dolphin Pier Topsail Island Just before sun up
I was about 12 yrs old and a beginning king angler just learniing the ropes. A friend of the family was taking me with him on weekends and furnishing my anchor rod. He arranged for me to borrow a 6/0 reel from Larry Lee of Johnston County. Larry was a respected king angler and his name was all over the big fish boards at Dolphin pier. I took every opportunity to ask him questions about kingfishing. He was my idol. One evening while we were eating supper, I, popped a far fetched question. " Larry, would it be possible to see a sailfish from the pier?" He looked over at my friend Crip and smiled and then thought a second or two. "Maybe, but it would be once in a lifetime"
The next morning,while Larry was eating at the pierhouse, I had my bait out and was watching a school of menhaden in the predawn twilight. The school was about 400 yds north and about 50 yds past the breakers. All at once mehaden were in the air and a HUGE SAILFISH rocketed into the air. My shouts gathered a small crowd and we watched it slash thru the school with sail raised and bill coming clean out of the water at times. After that he balled them back up and made one more jump up thru the center of the school and was gone. As excited as I was when he returned, I doubt Larry would have ever belived me if the others there had not told him the same thing. Now folks that story about the guy catching a king on a 202 was incredible beginners luck but I feel like I had a large dose myself. Both stories are as true as I could tell them, just like Larry's answer. (so far!);)
AL

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
:) sinker man---As these tales keep improving and getting bigger, Randy may want to advise all members to put on their chest waders on before visiting the Fish Tales.:D

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pier Dweller, ask Rachet if he was there that morning. I have a feeling that he or Big John might have been out there. I don't remember who was out there but they wouldn't forget it if they were. Seems like Big John might have been in the north corner the day before or maybe that day. I remember somebody caught a 33 lb jack on an 8 oz sinker out there one time. Somehow it sucked up an anchor and I believe it got hung on the fish's gill plate or something like that. If I'm not mistaken it was Pansy who caught it. Not long after that she caught an 86 lb Tarpon on her 6/0 and about 2 min afterward her spool spread and cracked the side plate. I was standing beside it and it was just laying on the pier and I heard it and told her but she was so excited over the tarpon it took a few min. for her to even look at her reel. She didn't seemed to concerned then either.
AL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.