NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I do. Been winnin contests there for bout 30 yrs. I do really good when they spawnin an in the summer/fall period, very clear an they use deep water alot. I can usually catch'em good when they go deep.

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
I have not made it out that way, yet but I wonder... Do you fish Belews Lake any? If you'd ever like to go, I'll be fishing there when I can get out most of the rest of the season till about mid March. I'd be happy to provide your day on the water for a chance to learn anything I can from someone who knows how to fish these deep clear lakes. :D

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've not fished Belews in several yrs, used to fish it for bass a lot in the winter. But started fishin Hyco for crappie durin the winter several yrs ago. we used to catch 20-40 bass a day at Belews trollin jumbo shiners on a split shot rig, on the points from hot hole to the dam, 10-20fow. caught several 6-8 lbs doin this. we used 8-10 lb test clear line, # 4,5 or #2 split shot, dependin on targeted depth, and a # 6 Kahle hook. a Kahle is kinda like a circle hook in that we hooked 95% of the bass in the corner of the mouth, very few would swallow the hook. after a strike, we would let the bass go about 8 or 10ft an sweep set the hook an had real good luck releasin the fish.

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
I've not fished Belews in several yrs, used to fish it for bass a lot in the winter. But started fishin Hyco for crappie durin the winter several yrs ago. we used to catch 20-40 bass a day at Belews trollin jumbo shiners on a split shot rig, on the points from hot hole to the dam, 10-20fow. caught several 6-8 lbs doin this. we used 8-10 lb test clear line, # 4,5 or #2 split shot, dependin on targeted depth, and a # 6 Kahle hook. a Kahle is kinda like a circle hook in that we hooked 95% of the bass in the corner of the mouth, very few would swallow the hook. after a strike, we would let the bass go about 8 or 10ft an sweep set the hook an had real good luck releasin the fish.
I have done decently well for numbers at Belews but have not been able to find the big fish. My personal best there was just under 4 pounds. Never tried live bait, maybe I'll give it a go sometime. :) Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I fish for Big Bass when I fish for bass. I've found that you will not know what the Big Bass are doin most of the time unless ya learn to motor troll with leadcore an how to use live bait properly. I've landed over 250 LMB from 8-12 3/4 pounds in the last 35 yrs, I've learned how!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've won one of his contests in the spring an one in the fall, had a 6 pounder in the spring contest, 2013, I think. had guide trips scheduled this yr an did'nt get to Phils get together. hope to see y'all agin next season! I've not caught as many jacks there the last couple yrs as I have in the past. My tourney partner and I won a club fishing contest there a few yrs ago with 8 jacks that weighed over 24 lbs, had a 4 lb 8 oz for big fish of the day! I've landed a couple over 5 pounds there!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.