NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Luckily this weekend was the first for me in a while where I didn't have anything planned or have to go anywhere and just got to catch up on some house chores and get a couple fishing trips in. I tried to take advantage and get out fishing at some times where I haven't been able to (earlier in the morning), and ended up having some success. Water clarity was abysmal due to all the rain we've been having but temps were ok, since I was bank fishing I don't know what water temp was but ambient temps were between 78-84 throughout weekend.

Was trying a new tweak on presentation of chatter bait that I'd heard about where I'm using it almost more like a jig with lot of popping action in between relatively steady reels while keeping rod tip high to keep bait higher in the water column. You can still get a pretty slow presentation with this with a lot of action and a couple places I was fishing I know the bottom even though I couldn't see it and didn't want to risk getting snagged. I've got a couple pictures below of best catches, all but one were on black and blue chatter with a 6th Sense Stroker crawl as trailer. Trailer is black on one side and purple/blue flek on the other, really like the action this gives at any speed. Other one was caught on a black and purple shallow square bill crank that has a lot of wobble to it. I even ended up catching new species with it as well which I found interesting, it was only about maybe 6" long so waaay to small for the bait and I believe it was a Perch maybe?? No pics unfortunately or I'd post it and get some insight.

Anyways, hope everyone had a good weekend, just wanted to share and stay active - tight lines.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Ford Ranger
182 Posts
Looks like you had some good days fishing, Cam. Where are you that you need those long sleeves?

It was almost 70 F when we launched on Sunday (Sneads Ferry) and about 90 F when we finally made it back to the ramp...would love to see the 60's again! Tight lines!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like you had some good days fishing, Cam. Where are you that you need those long sleeves?

It was almost 70 F when we launched on Sunday (Sneads Ferry) and about 90 F when we finally made it back to the ramp...would love to see the 60's again! Tight lines!
Yeah I hear you there and 90 is cooking especially when you're on a boat... So I'm mostly just hitting local lakes in Raleigh NC bank fishing. My uncle suggested a couple years that if you wore long sleeve shirts you would actually stay cooler in the sun, sounded counterintuitive at first but I swear by it now. I also wear long pants as I'm trekking through moderately heavy wooded areas sometimes and keeps me safe from poison ivy (got some last year and not in a hurry to get more anytime soon), bugs, etc. Thirdly skin cancer runs in my family so at this age I pretty much hide away from the sun as much as possible... haha

I definitely get asked a lot if I'm not burning up with what I wear (understandably so) but I'm used to it at this point, plus I don't mind breaking a sweat in pursuit of some biggen's.

I hear about Sneads Ferry a lot but don't think I've ever fished in that area before. Want to make a point to start doing more coastal fishing as I've got so much to learn and want to catch some bigger fish. I'm going to Oriental, NC this weekend to fish with my Grandad whose been fishing for like 60 years so hoping he can show me a thing or two.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Ranger
182 Posts
Let me know if you're up to an offshore jaunt some time and we'll see what we can do as long as you don't mind throwing some money into the kitty....at $5.75/gal non-ethanol gas and 3.1 mpg on the boat, it's the biggest part of my expense!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Let me know if you're up to an offshore jaunt some time and we'll see what we can do as long as you don't mind throwing some money into the kitty....at $5.75/gal non-ethanol gas and 3.1 mpg on the boat, it's the biggest part of my expense!
Hey thanks for the offer and I'll reach out if I get some free weekends at that would be only time I'm available. Definitely don't mind throwing some gas money either, worth it to me and especially if I'm getting some "free" knowledge.. haha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts