NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Mean Mouth Bass is something that has recently come to my attention. My home lake is Fontana Lake in western NC. It is truly a mountain jewel. I grew up fishing the lake and it is a fantastic smallmouth fishery. Lately a lot of the guys I know have been talking about catching Mean Mouth Bass. I had heard this term before but this time it got my attention and after looking into it discovered that this is and actual fish. The name Mean Mouth comes from the hybridizing of a largemouth and a smallmouth bass, mean being medium, hence a Mean (Medium) mouthbass which was a let down for me I like the idea of a “mean” bass. The fish & game of I think TN. or maybe KY. tried to make this hybrid to add to there sport fish list, kind of like the hybrid striper (Striper & White bass mix). The idea never took hold. Since then there has been a natural hybrid of the spotted bass and the smallmouth bass on some lakes around the country. Mainly lakes that have more of one species than the other. Fontana is such a lake lots of smallmouth and only a few spotted bass. The name Mean Mouth has been applied to these fish even though the proper name is the Hybrid Black Bass. Oklahoma even has a state record and I believe a world record has been applied for. The largemouth and smallmouth don’t hybridize in nature because of the inherent differences in when and where they spawn. But the smallmouth & spotted bass overlap in these areas, similar choices in geography and water temperature, and this has produced what a lot of people are calling, incorrectly, the Mean Mouth Bass. The one that has the highest population tends to overlap on to the lesser. Even though it is recognized as possible and actually happening it is still considered rare and catching one just as rare. So my question is has anyone caught one anywhere but more specifically on Fontana lake? And I mean you know for certain that this is what it was. I hope you find this subject as interesting as I did and I look forward to your replies.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
spotted/smallie uhh that would be a scrappy lil fighter..

they do have several cross breed bass one called "gorilla" bass theres at least one other but can't remember the name..

zooker

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Oh my goodness. Spit the soda out of my mouth Dave. Funny stuff there.:D. Now that I think of it. It does make me think of my lovely wife. Ha ha aha.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Sometimes they're Mermaids and sometimes they're Sharks!!

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
hey man
i've heard of them but never actually seen one.i really don't care for hybridazation,i like to catch 'em just like they are supposed to be.love smallies,gamest fighter alive!i was at fontana last spring.glorious place!plan to go back and go fishing this time.thanks for your post.
oh yeah,my dad's family is from the hendersonville and waynesville areas.
jerry condrey

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.