NC Angler Forums banner

Mediocre mtn. Island 1-26-08

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Stew-Rat 
#1 · (Edited)
Hit Riverbend Steam plant this a.m. 34 deg. at dawn. No breaks out front & fairly windy. Current was on. In the canal I caught 4 pretty small LMB`s. 2 on Zoom worm (smoke & prple flake) texas rigged. Then my worm tore up and I put a zoom super fluke jr (baitfish) on the same rig for the other 2. Don`t normally fish a fluke weighted, on the bottom but it felt right and got the 2 bigger fish.Was using a brass weight and red gamakatsu . It was a ugly rig.Only had 2 hrs and it got windier pretty quick.So 4 fish, no missed bites, no quick release, used 1 worm and tied no knots. Nothing to get excited about but I can`t find anything to complain about either.:)

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
we catch some stripers in / near the hot hole . Almost always early in the a.m. Normally when the plant is on and all the fish are breaking. (perch and LMB) Don`t wantyou to get too excited these are not big fish. These are what we call "schoolies". Anything from barely bigger than a perch to a couple lbs. Stripers don`t seem to stay there. Like they are running a route, moving around. We will catch them for 10-15 min and they`re gone.
We catch them on topwater mainly. Flukes are my favorite. Anything like a little fishie or a walking bait will work. I have even caught them on bottom on a worm. Sure some shad would work but I don`t carry bait very often. I hear the bigger stripes are always up at the top of Mtn. Island. You probably already know the real striper action is Norman , above the 150 bridge.---------Stu

#9 ·
ya i fished mt island a few times and only manage to catch 16-20 inch stripers. im thinking hard about giving it a shot there Saturday just to kill some time, or hitting Norman. think ill choose mt island since its closer. i fished last sunday for a few hrs and caught 2 small striper before i got blown off the lake up near mcDowell creek. i think Sat ill start around latta and work my way down the lake towards steam station. do they run water often there?

#10 · (Edited)
They run the plant most of the time , especially winter and especially now with the drought. since the plant makes power without moving water down the chain.
We haven`t been way back in Mc Dowell since the water dropped. We actually put our kayaks in at the bridge and fish out. The pipe from the waste plant normally has a few good bass. Heard there has been some action at the mouth. If you see some yaks near the Riverbend plant, it`ll probably be the Hardcore Kayak Fishing Team. Stop and say hello. We`re crazy but we`re friendly.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.