NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
Just got into saltwater and it's been a blast. Been catching tons of spikes at the icw on lejeune. One 19 inch keeper but it's a great time. Looking to get more into it. I really want a medium light rod that's 7'6 or 8ft. I'm rocking a 7ft calico jack medium with a conflict 3000. I'm looking for a medium light plus the added length to really get the light baits out there. Can a medium light handle large drum and what not?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also does a two piece make a difference? I can't fit a 8ft rod anywhere but I can with a 7'6. If anyone can give rod recommendations it would be appreciated. Looking for the 100 or less range.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Come on BigE, the man want's a lighter rod. And I like lighter tackle.

I picked up this combo for the Bay river trip. I updated most of my spinning reels to the President. And when I was looking I spied this. A bonus is the stainless hardware. I have a 7'9"ML version. I do not see the long ones online. Gander might have some of the longer light weight rods still in the stores.

I would look at 10 or 15lb braid for the reel.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...ater-Spinning-Combo-PFLPRES2-60COMBO&i=692350

mikeski

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Come on BigE, the man want's a lighter rod. And I like lighter tackle.

I picked up this combo for the Bay river trip. I updated most of my spinning reels to the President. And when I was looking I spied this. A bonus is the stainless hardware. I have a 7'9"ML version. I do not see the long ones online. Gander might have some of the longer light weight rods still in the stores.

I would look at 10 or 15lb braid for the reel.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...ater-Spinning-Combo-PFLPRES2-60COMBO&i=692350

mikeski
Setup is looking good. Can the med lighe handle the bigger fish? That's my only concern. I think I'm gonna spend a bit more for a mojo inshore 7'6 med light.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
what do you consider "bigger" are we talking slot reds up to 27" or larger?

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Steve, if distance is what you're after, the rods action is the more important to getting distance.
Fast & extra fast actions are key, that with 10# braid & spool size. Not medium light power.
Medium light is used for line rating, maybe lures too.
This will help explain power vs. action .........

http://www.bassfishingandcatching.com/fishing-rod-action.html

I catch a lot of upper slot Reds on a Shimano Teramar 6'6" med. power, fast action rods. Doubles as my Trout set up also.
Last year caught 9# Blues with it on topwater.
Would never thing of targeting Bull Reds with it.

Hope this helps. ........ ICM

·
Registered
592 Posts
If over slot drum are the target you need a rig set up for that kind of pullage. ML is too light. While you certainly can land large drum on a ML, it extends the time it takes to land them which is too hard on the fish IMO. If casting I use a M to MH when going after the big un`s. If I'm soaking bait MH to H. Beware though, the power ratings from one manufacturer to another can vary A LOT.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Take a look at the Fewnick HMG HMG76ML-FS, I don't think I would choose a medium-light but that doesn't mean you can't. Price lands you right at the $100 mark. Their HMX rods run about $20 less. For heavier lures you will still need a stiffer rod close by.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I asked for a rod recommendation for inshore fishing a long time ago and since then I have tried the Fenwick Hmg, Fenwick Eagle, Key Largo trout & bone fish , and last Shimano Teramar recommended by ICM. They are all great rods. Fenwick will replace a broken rod no questions asked, so will Key Largo. Shimano now requires you to send it back to the factory and they will replace it if they determine it was a mfg defect and not human error. Again they are all good but I have fell in love with the Teramar inshore rod with the medium power and extra fast tip at 6'6". It sets the hook like no other rod I have ever fished and it has the backbone to handle the reds. I caught a bunch of trout on it this year and never lost a hook set. I would recommend it to anyone for inshore fishing. E-Z Bait and tackle in Goldsboro has them in stock and Scott Hobbs will point you to it. They sell for $109-$119 at most places. I now own three identical Teramars with 2500 reels on them with 10 lb Power Pro. It works for trout, reds, and flounder in the inshore waters fishing out of a boat. Longer rods are good in open areas but fishing in the creeks, around trees and tighter areas, a 6'6" works for me. These rods come in a 7' if you prefer.

But in the end it's what works for you, and the particular application you need it for. That's why they make so many different ones!

Teramar Inshore Series
Model# TMS-X66M

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the reply everyone. I was interested in med light because most everything I'm catching is trout and will mainly stay that way. Just wanted to make sure if I hooked up to something really nice I wouldn't lose em too easy. Decided on a 7'6 fenwick hmg med light with my 3000 conflict. From past experience I've found that the whip the med light has does get lighter jigs out there than the medium acations. Taper were both fast.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.