NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm starting off early with this one because I hope it will be bigger. Plus, as most of you who know me personally, I don't get things done when I say I will...

A brief rundown of ideas,
  • I'd like to do t-shirts, but I will have to charge a small fee. Anyone have an idea for a snazzy title for the event in addition to KFNC Meet and Greet? Be creative, I'm not going to use "The Deuce".
  • How about adding a "One Lure (erayyak)" tournament to it? For an additional fee you can enter this and I'll make sure we can get a good prize.
  • There would be another raffle. I'm thinking one really nice item like a Stohlquist Fisherman PFD again and then a few goody bags to raffle off additionally.
  • Lunch on the beach again at Crossover 4, this didn't seem to be too long of a paddle for anyone and it allows everyone to spread out and fish as they make their way down to it.
  • June 21, 2008 would give us probably an 11:30 high tide and a 3:30 low tide.
  • June 28, 2008 would give us probably a 10:30 low tide and a 3:48 high tide.
  • I think both dates would be very workable with the tides at those times. We'd have plenty of water to paddle in and out of from the launch and at lunchtime.
Any other thoughts and suggestions regarding this are more than welcome.

-Ashley

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
ASHLEY,
ID LIKE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THIS THING YOUR TALKING ABOUT.
LIKE WHERE IS THE CROSS OVER ?TOWN CITY AND SO FORTH.
WHAT IS THE COST TO GET INTO THIS AND IS IT LIMITED TO KAYAK?
THANKS IN ADVANCED MY FRIEND.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tim, last year we had the first one and it was down at Fort Fisher. The Crossovers are part of the Off-Road section of the beach. Fort Fisher ORV park is about 4 miles long and there is a Crossover at each mile that connects the beach side with the sound side. Last year my dad and his wife set up some grills at Crossover 4 and made hotdogs. Everyone paddled out from different places and met there for lunch, chatted, and then fished the way out.

It didn't cost anything last year but I raffled off a life jacket from one of the sponsors, Stohlquist. There was about $50 made that was donated to the aquarium.

It is a kayak or canoe event. "KFNC" is a Yahoo Group that and guy (Familyman from NCW) and I run. The event had a few purposes, first was to put faces with names, the second was for people interested in kayak fishing to come out for the day and see what it was all about. We had about 30 paddlers show up for the day.

If you want to come out for it, I don't care if you bring the Creek Reaper. I think Queen's Creek would be a good location to have this too. Nothing is set in stone right now that's why I'm seeking suggestions, even for locations.

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
ASHLEY,
LOTS OF ROOM ON QUEENS CREEK AND I BELIEVE I CAN GET A YAK FOR THE DAY,ILL KEEP WATCHING AND AS SOON AS I FIND OUT ILL GET IN TOUCH,IF YOU NEED HELP PLEASE LET ME KNOW.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
If we do it in Tim's back yard, he's liable to have a whole crowd of shadows...

Maybe this time I can catch something I can actually LAND....

·
Registered
146 Posts
I missed the first event but hope to make the one in 2008. Ft. Fisher is good because there is ample parking right at the launch spot. Less boat traffic at FF than other areas too. Queen's Creek is a good destination, but there is very limited parking that I am aware of only at the bridge crossing. But you could launch from the State Park mainland side (lots of parking) and paddle a short distance west on ICW to put you into the mouth of Queens Creek.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I am in! Well, I am going to make the effort to be in. Plenty of advance notice to plan it, probably make a family trip out of it. Sounds like a great idea.

As far as tying in the OLC....I am up for that as well. We can work out details on how to integrate the two events. For those who missed the OLC thread....it is a ONE LURE event, and a lot of fun. But we can discuss that later. I dont know how many want to drive that far to fish with only one lure, but I know I would do it. Maybe it can be on the Friday before, or Sunday morning after.

I will get with you on details. Sounds like a great time. Looking forward to it.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tim, I've got an extra kayak, paddle, and PFD for you to use.

Kev's right though, you'd have a lot of folks following you :D

Is there a public ramp down by those row of houses on the south bank? I've seen some boats leaving from there but it may be a neighborhood private ramp.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Tim, I've got an extra kayak, paddle, and PFD for you to use.

Kev's right though, you'd have a lot of folks following you :D
Rats - I'm late. I was going to let Tim use my spare. It comes complete with a Queens Creek safety tether to my own yak (very handy for keeping him and his good spots within clear sight!).

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Let me know where you guys will be. I was thinking that maybe I could draw a few doughnuts around you guys at close range, and at full throttle, and we could make it a saftey seminar as well..........:eek::eek::eek::D:D:D:D:D
Note to self -- add Coast Guard to the speed-dial...
Better yet -- ask Tackle Claus for the VHF...

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hope I can make it this year Ashley, the yak has hit the water only 3 times this year. Hopefully by next summer the "baby" will be better and I can actually leave the house a few times!

I prefer the Swansboro/Morehead City/AB area, but would make the trip if the majority of paddlers were from down south.

I like the idea of a one lure tourney...keep it simple.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
How badly out-of-hand would it be to consider a weekend yak-stravaganza?

Take off work as early as you can on Friday, c'mon down and pre-fish...
Maybe a group campsite at the state park...
Early start for the CFK tourney on Saturday, regular open format...
More meet'n'greet Saturday evening...
One-lure challenge on Sunday...

Call in sick on Monday 'cuz you're still exhausted...

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
lets see, June 2008, thats 7 months and a few days... Wonder if i can lose 150lbs in that time and get me a kayak!!!...LOL!!!!!!! Ya'll have fun!! maybe I can be one of the cooks :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
For Ashley .... two dollars!, I want my two dollars! (inside joke)
I like the one-lure challenge idea. Wish we could camp on the strip but it's not allowed. We'd have a better chance of camping on Bear Island and fishing Queens creek. Like you said, maybe we can set something up with Parks and Rec. at their launch site?
Al and his band of gypsies are interested in coming down.

Pierman, I can offer you the use of a boat and paddle also. Hope you can make it, I've been looking forward to running into you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.