NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,

I had the opportunity to give "Country" a ride home yesterday from Church. It was truly an eye-opening experience. For those of you who don't know, Country is a homeless man that attends our church in Durham. He lives in the woods behind a gas station. He is in church every Sunday when he can get a ride and he was even baptized on our land this year. He is partially disabled and unable to work or obtain a job. Like all of us, he has a past but he is not lazy or a conman, nor does he drink or do drugs. He is a prime example of how someone can slip through the cracks of society.

As I spoke with Country, I was amazed that he did not complain about his situation or feel sorry for himself. He actually said he felt blessed to be where he is today. Did you hear that? He said he felt blessed to live in a tent in the woods with no heat/AC and not knowing where his next meal would come from. His positive attitude amidst the dark circumstances of his life definitely made me reflect on my own ungratefulness. How can I complain about the luxuries in my life when Country feels blessed to live in a tent?

I helped carry his belongings to the tent, said goodbye and crossed back over into my world. Country walked down to the intersection to beg for money. Yes, he is "one of those people." This Christmas, remember those less fortunate than you and try not to judge those that are different. All of us have a story to tell.

Troy

Attachments

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
hey Sniper, How Can I Get A Check To You, So You Can Cash And Give The Money To Country?.after YouR Story I Feel I Need To Share With Him, I've Ben Blessed All My Life, And Each Year Myself And Ms Tc Try To Find A Family We Can Help, An I Think You Have Made Up Our Minds, Please Pm Me Thanks Chris

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks TC!

My Small Group bible study group has kinda adopted Country as an outreach this Christmas. We've taken him clothes, food, and gift cards from Target and McDonalds. There is a Kroger's right across the street from him where he says he can get a hot meal. I wouldn't advise cash because he has been robbed in the past. If anyone feels lead to help County I would be more than happy to be the middle man. However, I would feel more comfortable buying him giftcards from Kroger, etc. than giving him cash. We plan on spreading this out over the winter because sometimes people take things from his tent when he is not there.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Sniper I would like to help as well. is there anything specific I can do for him? How does he heat the tent, cook his meals, is there any medicines and such that he would benefit from? I see he has a dog as well and I'd love to help it too? Vet checkup, rabies shots etc?
I have recently seen first hand how easily you can end up homeless and left behind by society, especially with any disabilities....
Bless you and your church for their help!
Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Sniper,

I work in down town Durham and would be blessed to stop and help Country anytime even if it is just o check on him. I could take him to lunch or just hang out with him.

Please email me with some details. [email protected]

Thanks!

Mark

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Sundrop, Country was apparently hurt in a construction accident years ago. He has been denied for disability benefits and too young to receive social security. I do not believe he has heat for the tent so maybe one of those little propane heaters like you see in cabela's would help. I just don't know about him keeping too many things in the tent because it has been looted in the past. His last dog was even stolen from his tent. As far as the puppy, I can ask Country the next time I see him at church.

We are in the process of trying to find a more permanent solution to this problem. I understand a social worker was contacted today. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Livebait, I'm sure Country would enjoy that. You are more than welcome to attend our church sometime and I could introduce you. Its called newhope church and located on Garrett Road. I'll email you some details about where he stays in his tent.

Troy

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Just let me know Sniper. I'm ready to help.

Reactions: NCPIERMAN
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.