NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a new Mercury 25hp fourstroke outboard. The owners manual says never shift into reverse with motor turned off, but then it says trailer the motor in reverse to keep the prop from spinning in the wind. Does this seem like a contradiction to anybody else? And if so what is the correct way to do it?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I had a 2000 Merc 125 and I do remember something about that in the owner manual.

Shifting into reverse with the motor off... shouldnt be a reason to anyway, and to keep the prop from spinning (in my opinion) isnt that big of a deal.. I always just left mine in neutral.

I never had a problem leaving the motor control in neutral when not using the boat, plus it will save the agravation when the time comes to launch the boat and you cant figure out why the motor wont turn over! (cause it's in gear). I'd say just leave it in neutral and you should be fine. I wouldnt worry much about the prop spinning anyway when being trailered down the road... it's not pushing a load and it's maybe doing a revolution or two at best at highway speed.. so you wont wear the shaft seal out...

just my .02

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Ditto Dave B.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.