NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every year I typically head to the beach for my birthday.i have historically not done too well surf fishing around this time. I am always in the south Brunswick islands somehwere. Any tips, or is it just not a good time for surf fishing.

·
Registered
59 Posts
personally not experienced enough ... but if you get up to Carolina beach about that time I'll be fishing from about March 9th or 10th for about 2 to 3 weeks

I'll be glad to have someone around that can see if and where I fall in :D

Wife and boy are staying home for this trip ... so like minded company is nice

if anyone is around at that time
I won't be accessing internet or tv or anything like that to get messages then so gimme a private message if you wanna pal around and get some lines wet

·
Registered
59 Posts
after last trip to Kure ... I prefer to avoid it

was planning to stay there for a few days camping in back of El Camino
Woke up and needed to use a restroom early in the morning and some slob wet all over the seat n floor

When I told the guy at the counter - all I got was a dirty look and had to locate a McD's
found one and kept on going back to the Raleigh area ... killed off a several day trip after about 15 hours there
and it wasnt like I didnt spend money there ... picked up a higher priced surf chair and other stuff and a lot of food drink & bait

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Are you talking about the pier there? I have noticed over the last few years they tend to be less then friendly. Except for a few times a year I try to avoid pier fishing. This time of year I don't think there will be too much biting anyway. Towards the end of your trip some of the fish might start showing back up, if the water warms up. I'm just going to hope some rouge drum happen so swim by, and maybe pick up some dogfish on a drop rig.

·
Registered
59 Posts
start there and then ... move down the beach and hit the surf or hit a boat launch area in Sneads Ferry and try that or something like that

·
Registered
117 Posts
Never too early, will still find some fish in the surf, drum and trout here and there. I tend to stay away from any open piers until April'ish. Pretty much all I would catch from them would be skates/rays, spiney's and other little sharks. Surf you get to move around and find the fish, a pier kinda keeps you in one spot hoping.

·
Registered
93 Posts
ICM, you always have manage to seem to get on the fish from the sand year round. What do you recommend throwing this time of year? It looks like your have a 1/4oz jig with a white paddletail in that pic. Thanks!

And I haven't had too much luck myself from the sand in March. I have sometimes bumped into the occasional blue and blowtoad, but historically I haven't done well until April. But I am still a pretty novice surfcaster, so there's that!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pushed back my first fishing trip to march 28th and 29th to coincide with ocean isle fishing centers spring kick off.

Ill be spooling all my rods for the season and at 2 cents per yard, who can beat that. I'll probably head out super early, get Ina few hours at sunrise, before the center opens. I'll be bouncing between ocean isle and Holden beach, primarily Holden. If anyone will be around, company would be great, I still got a lot to learn!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry to hear that, but I'm most familiar with Holden, my mother in law used to live in the icw in shallote. I'm planning on taking a trip to the outer banks at some point this year. Never been there.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am in Sneads Ferry at the moment trying to use this cell phone to reply.

Had a store in Shallotte
One morning wife and I were in local restaurant for breakfast and overheard a clutch of locals talking with a town police officer
The one lady asked where he was from to which he replied his family been here since civil war
Lady asked what his last name was which he told her
She said she didn't recall that name
At that point he informed her he was from a town not to far away

Her reply: OH! You're not from here

Needless to say ... if you are not from there just spend your money and keep going!

My 1st (and ONLY) day of going out of business sale had more visitors than the whole time the store was open
When I saw that ... closed my doors and took everything to an out of town auction house and dumped it all just so they could not scab the savings

Have no respect in my heart for that town

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow well to each their own.
Shalotte is a little country, but that's why I love the area.
its quiet, I can take the kids to the beach and actually enjoy the ocean without all the commercial tourist traps. The beaches are beautiful and the fishing is good. Sorry you have had bad experiences there.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.