NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I responded in another thread on MIL, but I don't think anyone has responded yet. So I'll post my own:

I'm new on the forum, and quite new to the area. Grew up fishing in Colorado and on vacations in Minnesota, so these waters are new territory for me.

I'm looking to get out on MIL Saturday; this will be my first time out. Besides that, it seems like it's been a strange year--HOT and then dramatically cooler with rain, then staying much cooler (though warming a bit for the weekend again). It's hard for me to guess what the conditions on/in the water might be and how the bass are responding right now. I'm assuming it's cooled enough that they're frolicking in the shallows right now, but maybe that's a bad assumption.

Any help on current water temps/conditions/bass activity right now would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and Stukayak, your site has been very helpful, even to this non-kayak fisherman. Thanks for being so helpful to everyone in the community.

NCNewbie

·
Registered
302 Posts
Hey NC are you going out with Stu in the AM? If not where, what time are you going out?

What is going on now? Are the large mouth biting, stripers/white bass biting. Any ideas on what to bring as far as lures? Thanks

I'm not much of a morning person. My cell is 336-516-3058.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Wuz,

You'll see from my original post that I'm new around here and that this will be my first time out, and that I am not going out with Stu as I'm not a kayak fisherman, and that I don't know what's going on now, since that was what I was asking in my original post. :) Forget your coffee this morning? ;)

I'm just giving you a hard time.

NCNewbie

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Based on what I've seen in the other lakes in the area, the fish are really starting to tear it up!

Try jerk baits, crank baits and buzzbaits...

Reactions: Catawba

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
They are. They are working on the shad schools so look for areas they are likely to ambush from. I have been having pretty good luck on rocks and docks (not really intended to rhyme!).

The deepest I have caught fish lately is about 6 to 8 feet, but most came out of about 3 to 4. Buzzbaits are really geting some nice ones until the sun gets up, then go sub-surface.

Reactions: Catawba

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Thanks for the kind words on the site. If you are in the area there are some goodies on there. If yo uhaven`t already look on the front page at the link of MIL during the drought. Really gives you a better idea where the shallows are.
Myself and some guys are biting our nails waiting for the morn to come since it our 2nd Annual paddle tourney just down the river in Mt. Holly. (Wylie)Don`t know where you`re putting but at Hwy 16 keep an eye the hothole area, especially if they`re running water. Fish should be breakin early out in the open water. Maybe LMBs, spots, or small stripers. Won`t be many of any size though. At Neck early watch out for the same right around the mouth of the cove or upstream on the flat. Which I hope you know about. Wylie was down pretty good today. Good luck. Hopefully we`ll meet up out there one day.---------------stu

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Hey NC are you going out with Stu in the AM? If not where, what time are you going out?

What is going on now? Are the large mouth biting, stripers/white bass biting. Any ideas on what to bring as far as lures? Thanks

I'm not much of a morning person. My cell is 336-516-3058.
For all practical purpose there are no white bass in MIL. The perch wiped them out. I haven`t seen one in several years.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I've been to MIL once. That was 2 yrs ago during the summer I think. At this time of the year if I were you I'd head to the back of the creek or cove in shallow. I'd be guessing the water clarity there would be farily clear now so I'd hit em with a small square bill shallow crankbait through the laydowns and rocks such as riprap like Lewis said. If no takers then try shakey with 4 inch worm or wicky rigged in pearl or green pumpkin. I never have a good luck with buzzbait at ANY lake! Guess I don't have confidence in them or maybe I need to downsize them I dont know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your help, gents. Now, the important part:

I had no "luck" yesterday. I got out later than I wanted because I was fishing with the ol' father-in-law. Put in at Neck Rd. We tried to hit some docks, shallow structure/laydowns up creek arms and in coves, points/dropoffs, etc. I fished cranks (shallow and deep), lipless, spinnerbaits, texas-rigged worms, carolina-rigged flukes. Guess what--no fish! But, as I mentioned before, this is our first time on this lake, and really the first time fishing in this region, and we were sans depthfinder, so it was a lot of guesswork.

It would shorten my learning curve if anyone on here who fished MIL yesterday (Sat., Oct. 9) with any success could give me a detailed report of the action: where and when you were fishing, what you were fishing, etc.

Such a report would help me to know if I fished in the wrong places, used the wrong lures/presentations, or just need lots of work on my technique!

Thanks to all who replied before and thanks in advance for any information you can give. Perhaps I will post this as a new thread, too, so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

Stu, how was the annual tourney? I drive over the bridge on 27 every day, and I see Wylie is getting pretty low.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Tourney was awesome. No problems. Water has been low lately but that`s normal this time of year. The fishing was tough for sure. Seems there was a morning bite but it was short. Biggest bass was 17 1/4 which got Philip (yak4fish on here) a $500 payout- which is about 5 in or so less than big fish last year. I caught one just shy of 17 friday and that would have put me in 2nd tourney day. That`s the story of my tournament fishing- always a bridesmaid- never do any good when I need to! 6th place was a tie at 14.5 inches.
Glad the tourney is over- got 9 months to just do my regular fishing routine.
I know fish were caught on worms, (the winner), and flukes. I didn`t ask most of the guys what they caught them on.
I will be going to Neck this afternoon with Tacobo and hanging around til dark. We`ll see if they come up to feed around dusk. Soon we will be puttingmore fish attractors in MIL and one spot is gonna be right there in Neck, on the right going out just before the main channel. If we get anything worth it tonight I`ll let you know. I`m just looking forward to being somewhere other than the tourney waters. We`ve been there alot lately. I guess it paid off since 3 of the 6 spots in the tourney went to Team Hardcore boys : ) 2nd, 4th, and 6th.

·
Registered
121 Posts
hey whats up guy ,been a lil busy this weekend i went out yesterday and today, yester was a bit slow only a couple but we got a late start,today was a bit better but not much,tried trolling for stripers early ,only fish was a spot 1lb,then fished the drop offs them only got 2 lmb not very big,then we ran up to the dam.i dont have a problem in helping people or sharing info but when we arrived there is a lot of places to anchor your boat there maybe a not on purpouse this guy anchored this boat right on the drop off so you couldnt fish it but he wasnt in his boat he was paddling around in his yack,seriously i was dissapointed to say the least so i fished aroud the boat the best i could and mannaged a couple and my buddy lost a HUGE fish jigging .just if you read somebodys pointers be courtious and try to be aware that the person who might of helped you find some fish might be out fishing as well,and with spots like that a couple of boats can fish it with out a problem

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Myself and Bo had a good time near Neck tonight. Last couple hrs before dark we caught a fair amount of fish but none big. 4 times that amount if we`d caught all that hit but they all were schoolies ostly and alot were percxh nipping at the baits. Not counting something big that came off my crankbait. Crankbait fish don`t do that! It was definitely 5 or 6 lbs or hooked in the side one. We caught perch, stripers, LMB, and spots. We also had some company who saw us catching the fish and stopped they stayed almost far enough away. Bo only had to snag the guys line once to let him get the message and drop anchor. After that I was quite pleased with them holding their ground since they caught few but watched us catch many and went over to talk to them and be sure they knew we were friendly.
Now the guy in the jon boat who trolled- outboard running- right between their boat and us got an entirely different talk. And kept going. Plenty of room on either side and plenty of time at the speed he was going to see what we were doing, yet he trolls right thru the middle! I was tempted to try and yank his rod out.:mad:

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
OOPS- WE did it again! Do to it`s length it is often abbreviated and often people ask the same thing. MIL is short for Mt. Island Lake. Greater Charlotte area water supply. Between Norman and Wylie.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Dude! Stu, cant get away from people running over our lines this weekend can we? If it ain't the whitewater kayakers during our tourney, its people on Mt Island who screw up schooling fish for us after WE found em.
The reason most bass tournaments I fish have an anchor rule is primarily for schooling fish. The rule typically reads...

"You cannot fish within 50 yards of an anchored boat. An anchored boat is defined as a boat that has the anchor down and the trolling motor up."

This was written for schooling situations...most tournament guys are not going to anchor down, so it really doesn't come into play that much and as such, it is not uncommon for a few boats to fish the same schooling fish. It's not necessarily a desired outcome to have to share the school, but it is legal and you just hope to catch more out of the school than the other guys!

In the end, they may have scouted that schooling area earlier in the week and it is just as much their right to fish them as is mine. If they beat me to it and actually throw down an anchor, then, they have it and I have to stay 50 yards away until they pull anchor.

It's much easier to fish around people on a bank than in schooling situations since the schooling fish are typically concerntrated in certain types of areas, which are not usually that large an area.

I may catch some flack for this...and I'll remind everyone that I'd much prefer to have a school to myself...but I don't own the fish, and if my anchor is not down, then the other guys, who may also have worked hard to scout those fish, have the right to fish them, too. As long as people aren't throwing into each other's boats and are able to reach the fish, then it's ok...though, not desired by me!

In most situations like that, the guys I have competed against will give enough room so that each boat has a "fair" shake at the school, but I have seen times that boats have cut each other off from the school...I really don't like that...but I have to live with it as a term of my entry into the tournament.

By the way...the rule also applies to fishing within 50 yareds of boats that are NOT in the tournament. If we come up to a spot and there is a boat anchored there, we are not to fish within 50 yards of them...if we are seen by another tournament angler or official, we can be disqualified for that.

I hope everyone sees my point in this...while I don't like sharing a school I may have found, I have to bite my tongue and check my actions if another boat pulls in to fish it, too.

The bottom line...you need to have more than just one school of fish to bank on for a tournament and if someone does pull in on you, catch what you can look for similar areas that might also hold schools.

I can't tell you the number of times I have caught fish behind other people fishing the same schools or the same stretch of bank...or even the same dock. Just because someone is fishing the same stuff, they won't necessarily catch the fish and they certainly can't catch them all!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks, Stu and Vaporizer, for the good reports. Sounds like things were generally pretty slow Saturday, and better early when we weren't out. Now I can flatter myself that it wasn't all my fault! Ha!

I'm happy to say that, based on your descriptions, none of the boneheads you ran into was me. Argh! I just don't understand how some people think.

Stu, don't tell me exactly where you were catching your fish yesterday, but what were you fishing generally--docks, points, dropoffs, laydowns, structure in the flats? Oh, and you can give me a more detailed description of where to find the map or photo of MIL at low water--the one you mentioned in an earlier post? I can't seem to locate it.

Good stuff, guys. What a fantastic forum this is. I'm amazed how active it is and how helpful everyone seems to be. I'm sure we'll be chatting a lot. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
The map that shows the drought conditions is on the front page of our website. It`s down the page a bit and the type isn`t very big. If I remember it say "pics of MIL during the drought" > the sat maps are funny, When you go different times or change the zoom it will give you different photos so you probably shouldn`t zoom in when you look at it.
where we are catching the schoolies is very typical this time of year. It is basically open water schooling and either on a flat or where there is a sharp drop leading up to the flat. there are alot of them near there so around dusk put yourself in a position to be able to see as much as you can and keep your eyes peeled for the splashes. No birds this time of year to tip you off. It can be different from night to night and the schools will sometimes kinda drift. Alot of times they`ll come up for only a few seconds then go down but they`re still there so keep fishing. I normally use 2 lures - 1 topwater and 1 I can let sink and fish where I want. These fish can be weird in that some days it seems like you could put a hook on a quarter and catch 25 but other times you will catch 2 or 3 on a lure then after that you can pulli t through a ton of fish and they won`t hit it. That was me last night. I kept changing and thinkI caught fish on at least 4 different lures- top and bottom. Even trolling. Just think fast, small, and shiny and you`ll get them.
As far as the guy I had words for it was only because he cut right between everybody and with his motor down. If he`d have stopped on one side and fished that would have been fine. When the action is hot and lures are flying and everybody is catching it`s alot of fun and you can make friends and have conversations with the other guys- like we were last night.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.