NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK So a very good friend went to Bass-Pro and bought 2 trolling motors of different sizes. When he got home he noticed on the box that one said "SALTWATER/FRESHWATER" and the other said "FRESHWATER". Is there a difference and if so what is the difference ? lol I was at a loss which is unusual for me. I assume (you all know what that means) that some of the parts that are immersed in the water are more likely to corrode ??? Thanks for all that reply. It is a bit confusing to me.

·
Registered
575 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the "saltwater" version has some kind of sacrificial metal attached which will draw the corrosion to it rather than the actual motor. I think you can even buy one to put on the freshwater motor. That being said, I've used a freshwater motor in the salt for quite some years now. Yeah, I can see a bit of corrosion starting on a few parts, but nothing major. When I get around to it, I'll clean it off and repaint. Washing the motor good with fresh water after every trip also helps a lot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I asked a saltwater guide this question . He said "FW, about a year, SW, about two years" life span of heavy almost daily use use. The moral of this is...don't buy a used motor from a guide. woodboat

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Fresh water will last a long time in the backwaters. Ones painted white and ones painted black. Both are sealed with the same rubber seals so no water gets inside. The salt does have a sacrificial anode. I have a friend that I flounder with that has used the freshwater year after year with no problems. Proof in the pudding.

As with either one, wash them off good with fresh water and soap will help also.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Go to the Minn Kota website and look at the different models, it spells it out as to the differences. Seems the main items are the anode, painting process and protective coating on the circuit boards. As to how effective the differences are ??????

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
If you wash your freshwater motor religiously after use in salt, and every couple years paint the parts that start to get "raw", generally it will do fine. Be careful about quick release plate screws and the screws that adjust the shaft collar; on FW motor they may not be stainless and will rust quickly, leaving you with a motor that you can't adjust draft or remove from the quick-release plate. If you're diligent about oiling those screws and guarding your FW motor against corrosion, you should do fine.

BTW if you own a Minn Kota Powerdrive V2, just budget for a cost of $90 per year regardless, because the control pedals are just terrible and you'll be replacing that pedal about once every 1.5 years regardless of how you "baby" it. Not that I'm bitter. ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.