NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would Minnesot Beach or Oreintal be best to fish for old drum this weekend? Never been to either place, but looking to catch some nice drum. Thanks for any info

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
If you are in a boat I'd say closer to the mouth of the river the better.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
They are there...good luck.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
You going to be in a boat? Minnesott Beach area there is no public boat ramp or fishing area, unless you know someone that lives on the river.

Best bet would to call Cpt Dave Stewart at Minnesott Beach Bait and Tackle, reserve yourself some fresh mullet for bait and swing on down and launch your boat at Oriental. The proceed out into the main river and find yourself a fishing hole or 2 or 3 so you can move from place to place to find fish.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, we will be on a boat. I was unaware that there was no public access at Minnessot. Thanks for that info. I had planed to use the popin cork method. Did want to pick up a couple more popin corks before we put in. What time does the bait shop open up on sat? Also, I have a vast variety of plastics such as,: Fin-S, salt water assasins, curly tail grubs, different name brands of shrimp all in a wide array of colors. However, don't have any of the new soft plastics I see mentioned on here a lot. Recon I'm "old school" Would someone make some recommendations from my list of "old school" baits. About how far is it from Minnessot to Oreintal?

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Distance is about 9 miles or so. Check out your maps and see how to get around. Also might be to your best interest to call to see if Cpt Dave has any fresh bait, he may be sold out. Popping corks will get the job done with DOA Airheads or similar big plastic baits underneath the cork.

Using 1/8 or 1/4 ounce jigheads and soft plastics of assorted styles you may find some speckled trout, puppy drum or flounder that wants to play.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts