NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all- My name is Brian and I am one of those transplants from the northern states, Minnesota, now living in Durham. I fished Minnesota lakes and rivers most of my life. I did my share of Walleye fishing both in Canada and in Minnesota.

I would like to learn more about how to fish the lakes and shoreline of NC. Looking for recommendations on a boat for inland fishing as Jordan Lake is about 15 miles from me (live in Durham). I am a novice bass fisherman, but would like to learn. I mainly fished panfish with the kids and wife and casted for Northern Pike during the summer; walleyes in the spring and fall.

I currently work from home and miss sharing fishing stories from the weekend with the folks at work. I hope I can use this forum to swap fish stories and learn from you all.

·
Red X Angler
11,444 Posts
Welcome to the site.

No boat is perfect for everything, but I would recommend a 16 to 16 foot ModVee jon boat. lightweight to trailer from Durham to the coast, cheap on fuel to operate, and still has plenty of room. They are rougher and wetter in big water than some fiberglass boats, but are perfect for the Eno and work well in the lakes, and back in the skinny water at the coast.

Darrell

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hey Vertaz, Welcome to NC and the site from another former mud duck ;) Like Darrell said no single boat does it all and a good all-around rig is an aluminum jon boat. You can find some pretty good deals on used rigs too. The fishing in NC is pretty awesome and the coastal game is a blast. Ya shore doan cha know der eh? :D

·
Registered
660 Posts
Hey Vertaz, Welcome to NC and the site from another former mud duck ;) Like Darrell said no single boat does it all and a good all-around rig is an aluminum jon boat. You can find some pretty good deals on used rigs too. The fishing in NC is pretty awesome and the coastal game is a blast. Ya shore doan cha know der eh? :D
You left out the "uff da" when you miss a fish!

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
Jonboats are nice and relatively inexpensive, but I agree with Darrell, if you want to fish the lakes and inshore salt waters you will want something with a little deeper hull (higher gunwhales) and a V-hull takes the chop more comfortably than a flat-bottom like a skiff or jonboat. Windy days and boat wakes on any decent sized body of water will make you glad you can handle some chop. You can always modify the boat as needed, I've seen people have a front platform added to an aluminum V-hull to install a bow-mount trolling motor and have a casting platform.

Skiff, jonboat, V-hull, whatever you prefer, deeper gunwhales for choppy days would be my main criterion for choosing a boat if you you want to maximize your versatility for confidence on different types of water.

Welcome to the party!

Reactions: dbeam
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.