NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This AM at 7:00 I headed to a fairly reliable spot. I could see into the water and watched several reds swimming by and many pushing farther out. I threw all these and got only one fish on a soft mirrodine. I don't even know how to work this lure and I don't remember how I was retrieving it when the fish ate it. Got lucky for sure. Not even a sniff on top and I tried 4 separate times. It was all I could do to keep the "non top" stuff from snagging on the bottom. I have no confidence with other baits. I don't like the way the mirrodine, and many other swim baits swim but I think some of that has to do with the fact that I use quick clips. Maybe some of these should be tied on? Scissors Bait Fish hook Tool Font
Organism Terrestrial plant Fish Grass Natural material

·
Registered
571 Posts
This AM at 7:00 I headed to a fairly reliable spot. I could see into the water and watched several reds swimming by and many pushing farther out. I threw all these and got only one fish on a soft mirrodine. I don't even know how to work this lure and I don't remember how I was retrieving it when the fish ate it. Got lucky for sure. Not even a sniff on top and I tried 4 separate times. It was all I could do to keep the "non top" stuff from snagging on the bottom. I have no confidence with other baits. I don't like the way the mirrodine, and many other swim baits swim but I think some of that has to do with the fact that I use quick clips. Maybe some of these should be tied on? View attachment 71608 View attachment 71609
In my extremely limited experience I say everything should be tied on. I can tell you the guides that I have fished with tie everything on.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
As a power fishing addict, may i suggest gold spoons in 1/4 oz. when topwaters are not working. Just cast and reel like a crankbait. The wobble and flash handle the rest. Johnson's and flats intruders make great spoons. One of the oldest and most reliable lures on the market.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
I "gon" learn about these.

So you tie the main line to the snap and that way you can switch lures quick? What size do you all use?
Yes that's all you have to do. Tie on your snap to your leader and clip on your bait. I use Mustad KVD Duolock Snaps in Size 0 rated at 30 pounds. The size 00 is rated at 25 pounds and are a little too small to get onto a mirrolure or top water comfortably.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I use a KVD Duolock snap on just about everything and have for the last 2 years. The fish don't seem to mind. I'll be conservative and say I caught over 500 legal speckled trout last year including 5-6 that went over 5 pounds.
i to always use a snap . one day i was fishin with someone and he had put 6 keeper trout in the box to my 2 and he said the reason was he tied direct to the lure and noticed i used a snap . he didn't know i had caught hundreds of trout up to 7 lbs. and i didn't tell him lol

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
As a power fishing addict, may i suggest gold spoons in 1/4 oz. when topwaters are not working. Just cast and reel like a crankbait. The wobble and flash handle the rest. Johnson's and flats intruders make great spoons. One of the oldest and most reliable lures on the market.
If ******, trigger, or curtis says it works then I assure you it works. <= that's a period! <= that exclamation point is to drive home the point that that was a period.

Gene - RED >X< - Asheboro

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't think anyone would say that you can't catch fish including big fish on snaps/clips. However, I am a firm believer that on the days when the water is clear and the fish are finicky, a snap can be the reason for not getting bites. Just like when Spanish fishing...sometimes you can use wire and they will bite, while there are those days where you have to use mono to get bites even if you may lose some fish and lures in the process. I can tie a new lure on in just a few seconds more time than it would take me to snap a new one on. I'd rather play the odds, especially as much as my work/family schedule limit my time on the water.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
I don't think anyone would say that you can't catch fish including big fish on snaps/clips. However, I am a firm believer that on the days when the water is clear and the fish are finicky, a snap can be the reason for not getting bites. Just like when Spanish fishing...sometimes you can use wire and they will bite, while there are those days where you have to use mono to get bites even if you may lose some fish and lures in the process. I can tie a new lure on in just a few seconds more time than it would take me to snap a new one on. I'd rather play the odds, especially as much as my work/family schedule limit my time on the water.
I used to think like you. Then I thought to myself "man, I'm worried about a fish seeing this little bitty old snap, but I'm using these two giant treble hooks". Or what about that split ring...

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was thinking about possible reasons for/against snaps. These don't include the confidence factor for those that chose to use or forego using them.
For:
Some manufacturers suggest tying directly.
Tying directly is said to give the angler more feel or control. I am leaning this way for some sub surface baits which I have trouble getting to swim properly. That mirrodine I used flips and flops and rolls when using a clip. I don't think it would do this if tied.
Faster when switching baits and this is the main thing I like about using a clip.
Against:
It adds another link in the chain-another potential failure point.
They can grab weed, grass, Moss etc.
It is claimed they can change the balance point and, therefore, the action.
The feel thing as stated above.
They cost money. Well never mind that one. It's fishing gear so whatever it costs it's worth it.

Just some musings from a non expert.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Some manufacturers suggest tying directly.
Tying directly is said to give the angler more feel or control. I am leaning this way for some sub surface baits which I have trouble getting to swim properly. That mirrodine I used flips and flops and rolls when using a clip. I don't think it would do this if tied.
Mirrolure recommends a loop knot be tied to their baits. They even give directions on how to tie it. I'm not sure what you're talking about in saying that it flips flops and rolls. A 17 won't do anything that you don't tell it to do with your rod. Aside from the imparted action but your rod, they don't have very much action at all. Small twitches go a long way. I use 17's and other suspending hard baits almost exclusively from late summer through late spring.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Mirrolure recommends a loop knot be tied to their baits. They even give directions on how to tie it. I'm not sure what you're talking about in saying that it flips flops and rolls. A 17 won't do anything that you don't tell it to do with your rod. Aside from the imparted action but your rod, they don't have very much action at all. Small twitches go a long way. I use 17's and other suspending hard baits almost exclusively from late summer through late spring.
That's what I mean when I say I don't know how to work it.
I should have said, "for me", these baits flip flop and roll. In other words instead of staying properly oriented vertically they rotate a little when I work them. Appears to be a very unnatural motion under water. I'm sure it's due to the fact that I don't fish them much at all so I don't have a feel for how these lures act as a result of my rod and reel working them.
I've mainly been trying to get them to twitch side to side like a top water, "walk the dog" but this isn't working so I need to spend more time and maybe look at some vids.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I use clips in the fall sometimes when I'm constantly switching lures. Mirrodines are one of the most versatile lures available. (Hence their popularity.) While most people overthink them, a subtle flick of the wrist is all you need.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.