NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been throwing a MR17 in the new river for awhile now in a variety of colors and retrieves and cant seem to have any luck. I have been told that this is a phenomenal speck lure but I just cant seem to make the darn thing work. I usually work it just like i would a jerkbait for bass (twitch twitch pause). Am I missing something here? Any advice on how to work this bait and the speeds of retrieval this time of year?

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
some guys can catch with them year round. I do better with soft plastics until the water warms up because you can fish a plastic super slow..

·
Registered
108 Posts
It's really not always the lure and more of if the fish are there. By default when searching for fish, that's what you're doing, stick
with basic colors. Black white yellow gold and red. Probably in that order. If there are fish there that are feeding you will find out. If not, pick up and move along. As far as retrieve, since a it is spring maybe speed it up and change your jerks up. Jerk pause, jerk jerk jerk pause, jerk jerk pause ect.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Capt. Lee Parsons ( MirrOlure Master ) has told me more than once that MirrOlures work best when thrown up current, twitched, pause thru the swing. When it's even with the boat retrieve.
Not all places hold fish. Trolling motor speed is important factor also.
I don't find MR as a great search bait. Prefer topwaters, grubs & X-raps.
It is a great Speck lure, once you find them has been my experience. ..... ICM View attachment 70570

·
Registered
948 Posts
to add to the above posts.. When twitching a MR17 I like to keep my rod tip low and use a short sweeping motion. trying to "pull" the bait along rather than a bounce/fall.

·
Registered
252 Posts
i think i am the only person who fishes mirrolures with my rod tip up. ALWAYS. people probably wonder what i am using. probably looks like i am bumping a jig on the bottom for flounder, but i am not. i can really feel what is going on and man do i get the best hook sets. works well for me anyway....

·
Registered
572 Posts
The New River is pretty dead right now. The marsh has treated me OK the last few weeks even though the weather isn't ideal. There is a good amount of bait in the marsh areas right now and I was seeing 68-71 degrees depending on where I was.

·
Registered
3,579 Posts
Just heard that a place I've fished earlier in the week, where we spooked hundreds of Reds from different schools was netted yesterday.
Also this Sat. Redfish tourney of really good anglers, guides that are on the water almost everyday.
Only 3 boats brought fish to the scales. Depressing ........ ICM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.