NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night headed out for some top water action. Had a buzz bait, spook and popper tied on. Started with the buzz bait about 715 no luck. Moved on to spook again no action. Finally got a couple blow ups on the popper but still have not successfully caught a fish on the popper.

Switched back to my buzz and landed a nice 3.5 pounder.

Moved onto another spot and as I am walking over to the bank a snake takes off into the water, this one doesn't swim off. It just keeps hanging around watching me. I tried a stick and my pole to scare it off but it kept coming back. I didn't want to stir up the fish with a ruckus so let it be keeping an eye on it as it watched me. Worked popper through entire area again no luck it was getting dark now about 845 pm so decided to try the buzz bait again.

Worked the buzz and on the third cast bam slam a good size bass slams it and starts running and taking out drag. Finally get it coming in keeping an eye on the snake at all times bass takes another run and next thing I know I have all slack. I guess I should have checked the line after first bass but seems like the knot broke. If anyone finds a bass with a buzz bait stuck in its mouth let me know. Last year I lost a big one when it ran under a bridge cutting my line but this is the first time in a long time I had a knot failure. I use a mono leader from my braid to the buzz bait but time to lose the leader and start tying a polamar knot to the buzz bait.

I went to another spot since it was to dark to see the snake well worked the popper had one grab it and go down for a second but missed setting the hook. Still working on getting my first popper bass and I am using a very light action rod on it so looking forward to the fight

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Identify those snakes and you will feel better knowing what it is watching you. 99% sure it was a brown water snake and they are harmless. I've had one crawl right between my legs over at Beaver Dam and I think had I not shuffled, he was going to explore my pants leg.. They will often hang around when you are casting a lure because the sound and motion has them thinking there might be a snack there. I toss one a dead minnow occasionally when crappie fishing LOL ... When you use a leader on the braid do you dab a drop of superglue on the knot? I tie uni-uni and dab of glue.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cmon man losin a fish over a snake? can't be skeered fishin!!! :D

hate ya lost em! be careful usin the light action rod with the pop'r may make for a tough hookset
yeah I am gonna switch it to a different rod. What topwater would ya use on a lighter action rod?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Spidey, I would gladly take that bass and give you back your buzz bait. :D
fish was just gonna get its picture taken and back into the water the buzz bait is another $7.50 donated to the lake

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No sense using leader on a buzz bait. Not like they are taking time to examine it, like say, a worm or jig.
yeah I know its just I use this rod for multiple baits but gonna start cutting off the leader when buzz fishing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.