NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few weeks ago we started catching some nicer 4-5# bass but last few weeks dink city. Not the usually prespawn bite as in the past. I know these weather fluctuations and massive amount of rain staining the water has likely impacted bite but sooner or later them big girls are gonna have to start chomping. My buddy caught A 4# yesterday said looked like she was gonna bust those eggs out very soon. Is It possible that we totally missed prespawn and now the fish are focused on bedding or have we not even entered prespawn?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Bass will spawn at different times in different bodies of water, and sometimes different times in the same body of water.
They will often be interrupted in the process because of weather or water conditions, and some years very few spawn successfully.

And occasionally, the bigger females don't spawn all because conditions are so poor. I've caught fish in mid Summer that still had a belly full of eggs.

In a nearby pond, the Bass and Bluegills have been on and off the beds 3 times, and still have not done their business.
We had frost this morning, it was 80 degrees a week ago!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bass will spawn at different times in different bodies of water, and sometimes different times in the same body of water.
They will often be interrupted in the process because of weather or water conditions, and some years very few spawn successfully.

And occasionally, the bigger females don't spawn all because conditions are so poor. I've caught fish in mid Summer that still had a belly full of eggs.

In a nearby pond, the Bass and Bluegills have been on and off the beds 3 times, and still have not done their business.
We had frost this morning, it was 80 degrees a week ago!
This weather pattern clearly creating issues same with crappie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts