NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been out the the Mitchell River lately? It's been quite some time since I was out there. I'm pretty sure the last DH stocking happened in June, I just don't know when it gets "all fished out"

·
Red X Angler
7,806 Posts
Fish are there but extremely skittish and lots have been removed for table fare. Probably would have better luck somewhere with recent stockings that isn't super low and clear.

Sent from my kayak...

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Had a customer report he was succesful in landing about 10 "chubs" on the Mitchell last week. However, I think there are always a few holdovers on the Mitchell thru the summer...

There have been some reports of trout caught on some of the other neighboring DH/HS water.... perhaps due to trout being stocked in the last couple of weeks...

·
Registered
383 Posts
I fished the Mitchell last week. Waded upstream of the northernmost parking space for half a day, and caught between 20-30 creek chubs. Never saw the first trout. Not sure if I should've hiked in further or if it's just that tough. Per Chiefly Flyn's recommendation, I fished some HS water below SMSP that afternoon, and I believe had I spent my whole day there, I would've had better luck. Set the hook on and got broke off by one nice trout that rose on a size 16 EHC and saw several others. Fish were extra spooky. Had to make fairly long casts for a stream that small.

Reactions: wademaster

·
Registered
965 Posts
Had a customer report he was succesful in landing about 10 "chubs" on the Mitchell last week. However, I think there are always a few holdovers on the Mitchell thru the summer...

There have been some reports of trout caught on some of the other neighboring DH/HS water.... perhaps due to trout being stocked in the last couple of weeks...
The DH section of East Prong and Stone mountain creeks are stocked in July. The Mitchell also receives tremendous pressure, much more so than Helton. I've driven along side Helton on my way to jobsites and not seen a soul. On any given weekday there will be at least 10 anglers on the Mitchell, unless it is 32 degrees and snowing.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like I'll be spending the summer stalking carp with my fly rod. I live in Apex...2 hrs is a hike for some "possible" trout.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Sounds like I'll be spending the summer stalking carp with my fly rod. I live in Apex...2 hrs is a hike for some "possible" trout.
It is a hike. But when you get the itch, it's hard to talk yourself out of it. I live in Goldsboro, so it was like 3.5 hrs for me, but I think it was worth it. However, if I had any good carp water around me, I think I'd be more tempted to stay and get into some Carolina bonefish.

Reactions: lthrnck03

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a small pond down the street from me that has small LMB and bluegill. They put a nice bend on my 5wt rod. Carp are my current obsession. Hooked up on 3 this year so far... Landed 0.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts