NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something happened in my favor today. I don't know if it was because of the fish knowing there was a front coming, the overcast skies creating low flat light, the slight breeze but calm surface, or the stars aligning, but I'm pretty sure the Lord just felt like granting me a favor... it was the best day of fishing I've ever had at Belews.... and I only fished 4 hours. My buddy Jim was down East in the salt; this is his backyard, I owe much of my Belews knowledge to him, and I wish he could have been there! My Dad was out of town, he loves topwater bites, and I found myself wishing he could have been there, too.

I had a short window today, needed to get home by a specific time for family obligations. Launched at first light, first cast at 0645. It's Belews, so water temps were 63-67 depending where I was. Overcast, cool, very little wind. The key today (I believe) was the flat light allowing the shad to be close to the surface past the early morning period coupled with the flat conditions allowing the ability to see surface activity from across the lake (that, and the lasik vision correction I had a few years back ... sometimes 20/10 vision really helps)

I saw some surface smashes going on across the lake from where I started so I moved over there knowing how things work at Belews... find the shad, find the bass. This time it was the other way around, I just saw the bass. Got some great action at the first spot, and had I think 14 fish in that one location. After the action started dying at the first spot, I decided to follow Belews Rule #1: the bass move with the bait; move with them! So I moved around a bit and checked several areas that have been good in the past. All ghost towns. Figured I'd go back to what worked to start with as I was running out of time; however, that first spot was now a ghost town as well. Typical Belews, the fish had moved out to God knows where. So I figured I'd do what I did to start with, and just move up the lake keeping my eyes open as I went and look for places that seemed similar to the first one. I located some more fish by visually scanning all around for surface activity and then moving in quickly and quietly as possible. Tomorrow it will probably be main lake areas but today it was creek arms and pockets just off the main lake.

Each spot was similar. Caught a bunch of fish on a Zara Puppy and an Xrap, both worked with a pretty quick retrieve around the busting bass. A couple of the 3lb'ers were on an umbrella rig (Strike King's version of the Flash Mob Jr.), which I would lob out there after I would see surface boils that I couldn't get to fast enough with the shallow lures. Few Spots thrown in, mostly largemouth. Few smaller fish, but as polar opposite to last trip where they were all dinks, this trip they were almost all keepers. Caught mostly 1.5 to 2.5lb fish all morning, with a few 3lb'ers thrown in. Best 5 would have gone about 14.5lb. 22 total to the boat, lost 2 others, and missed a good one due to a failboated hookset on T-rig. This all in 4 hours of fishing. Never had a day like this at Belews before, this was like a good day at Randleman, only with warmer water and vastly different style!

Air travel Gadget Font Display device Art
Smile Vertebrate Sky Fisherman Mammal
Smile Vertebrate Sky Fisherman Water
Fish Fisherman Fishing Recreation Ray-finned fish
Water Smile Fisherman Fish Recreation
Smile Vertebrate Sleeve Fisherman Sky

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very good Sam, Glad that you have them zeroed in!

Darrell
Thanks! I wish I thought I could pull that off all the time. Belews is fickle sometimes, they can be here today and gone tomorrow. Was the right place and right time for those few hours, though, and I am thankful for it.

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good job, your in my back yard also but I don't bass fish, I crappie fish it a lot, and yes even the crappie are fickle in Belews, I own a blue and white Carolina Skiff stop sometime and say hello.
I will keep an eye out. I'm in a 1999 Sea Pro 180cc, feel free to stop and say hi as well!

I had no Idea there where spotted bass in there I hope they take over and get big. I would not mind a lake lanier in my back yard haha
Yeah I caught one this summer that I was pretty sure was a spotted bass... even posted a thread asking for ID since I have only seen them in pictures before that. Not sure how I feel about it, I don't think I want them to supplant the largemouth in there.

Water Sky Cloud Fisherman Fish
That one was pretty small.

The one yesterday was actually a good keeper sized fish, probably 1 and 1/2 pounds, maybe pushing two.

And thank you guys for the blog award :p

Reactions: dbeam

·
Red X Angler
3,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great Report! Belews is fairly close to me also, used to fish it a lot in the colder months. Looks like I need to get back up there! Congrats!
If things stay lined up, Jerry and I are going Sunday. Jerry wants to catch a spotted bass. Will see if we can make something happen again!

Reactions: dbeam
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.