NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rudder on my kayak and I love it. My problem is that I feel it would steer better if it was larger. I'm thinking about adding some stainless sheet material to it. It would have to be added to the front of the rudder so it could still flip up and store on the top as it does now.
Is this an idea worth troubling with?
I'd really like to make it into a front rudder system but that really would be getting into much more than I'd like to deal with.
Thanks

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
575 Posts
Why not use plexiglass? Easier to work with and lighter.
I made a rudder for mine out of a swivel roller bracket, pvc pipe and plexiglass. I think mine is too big now, 'cause it awful hard to turn when fully deployed.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
make a "mock up" from something cheap and stick it on with caulk or duct tape and test it before you decide to make major mods. Then you can see if its worth it and how it needs to be shaped.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I was to use a plastic it would be polycarbonate. Plexiglass is too brittle and I am always running into oyster rocks and taking short cuts across grass islands. I have the stainless on hand so it would be no cost. The addition would be on the leading online edge in the water so it would be first to hit.
What do you mean by "hard to steer"? Is it difficult from a physical stand point or is it hard to get it to steer properly?
Thanks

·
Registered
575 Posts
What I mean by "hard to turn" is that the rudder works TOO well. If I need to make a somewhat sharp turn, or just spin to the left or right, the rudder is working pretty darned hard against me. I think if I shorten and narrow it some, it may help. The way mine is designed, I can flip it up, out of the water, and push it down to deploy it. Actually, I'm considering taking a 1 to 2 inch piece of PVC, flattening it on one end with a heat gun, and see how that works as a rudder.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
Why not use plexiglass? Easier to work with and lighter.
I made a rudder for mine out of a swivel roller bracket, pvc pipe and plexiglass. I think mine is too big now, 'cause it awful hard to turn when fully deployed.
I'm in dire need of a rudder for my kayak and spending $200 on one isn't going to happen anytime soon. I would love to see pictures of yours.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Are you talking about a simple fixed rudder, to stabilize you track or are you wanting something you steer with your feet?

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I'm in dire need of a rudder for my kayak and spending $200 on one isn't going to happen anytime soon. I would love to see pictures of yours.
If the stern of your kayak is flat you may be able to go with the Hobie flip and stow job. Those rudders are only about 70 bucks. The hardware kit is separate but shouldn't break the bank.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
If the stern of your kayak is flat you may be able to go with the Hobie flip and stow job. Those rudders are only about 70 bucks. The hardware kit is separate but shouldn't break the bank.
I will check into that thanks. The only research I've done this far is checking out the kits made for my Tarpon 140.

Are you talking about a simple fixed rudder, to stabilize you track or are you wanting something you steer with your feet?
Foot steer rudder to help control my drift in wind and tide. My yak is already rudder ready, just have to install.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will check into that thanks. The only research I've done this far is checking out the kits made for my Tarpon 140.

Foot steer rudder to help control my drift in wind and tide. My yak is already rudder ready, just have to install.
I think you will be disappointed if you want a rudder to help direct the kayak while drifting. Mine helps a very tiny bit. Same for wind unless it is windy enough to push me hard. The wind doesn't make a kayak move straight. It just blows me sideways for the most part. Fishing while drifting in the wind is very frustrating for me. I suppose a drag bag would help but I find it easier to just stake out and fish or jam my kayak into a grass Island. Seems like the wind and tide are never in the proper direction for a leisurely drift. And I mean never in my experience.

·
Registered
6,379 Posts

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do these pivot or push bow/stern? For example mine use a cable that pulls when my leg/foot pushes the foot rest forward. Looks like these provide cable tension by pivoting?

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'll try to get pics of mine in the next few days. However, mine is not a "steerable" rudder. Aside from flipping up and down, mine is in a fixed, straight position. You may also try Youtube. I think there are a few guys on there that rigged up steerable rudders.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think the fixed units are called skegs but I may be wrong. They work similarly to the center board on a sail boat. As I mentioned my rudder flips up and stows on top of the kayak. This is a must for where and how I fish. I'd still love to have the rudder up front. It would be a much more efficient system IMO. I've seen a couple where people placed them up near the bow but off the side so the rudder still had the ability to flip out of the water.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.