NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had got those for a couple of ten weight saltwater fly rods I was building for albie fishing. Way overkill for freshwater and don't fit in tube-type rod holders. Since this was easy to do I plan to order some more appropriate butts (and the tape to build up the arbors). It will only take about ten minutes to swap it out.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I have a couple I am thinking about shortening. I may just turn and bore a little piece of black locus. That should hold up without rotting and I have a chunk lying around. In the yak I am building, the rod storage is going to be a little over 6' so I need to get a couple of "seafaring" rods that size (paddling through breakers is the only time I will have to store rods below).

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Andrew- No, the weight removed is negligible but the improved casting position is huge. I had never experience arm pain casting before last Sunday.

Andy- I'm going to order a few butts in various sizes. You are welcome to see if something works for you.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
A few splitshot and some hot glue in the rod end can add some tail weight before assembly.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ordered some of the tapered composite butts from Jann's Netcraft. I'm thinking instead of building up the diameter of the blank with the masking tape I might try the weight tape that golfers use to balance their clubs.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Nice work ....

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Re-worked with better materials and counterweights: http://evbluesnckayakfishingjournal.blogspot.com
Cool ideas, I like them. My only question would be if the lead tape might shift around under heavy pressure, I guess you'll find out.

Anyway, I had an idea of using washers as the counterweight. I would insert a stack of washers on the blank between the end of the cork and the installation of the butt. I haven't tried it but it would be very easy to dry fit and see if it was worthwhile. Might look cool as well. The challenge would be to find washers that are the same diameter as the handle.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
"My only question would be if the lead tape might shift around under heavy pressure"

The lead tape arbor is encapsulated in adhesive on all sides, there is nowhere for it to move. It's a lot more solid than the
drywall tape, which is the more standard way of doing things.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.