NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the river just above the shoals today. Lots of algae on the rocks and it was siippery as oil on glass. I was throwing a baby torpedo in leopard frog colors and the smallies were killing it. Caught two citation fish and two just an inch short. The fish would smack the lure as soon as it landed-I mean immediately-and when I got em close it was obvious why; each big one that was hooked was followed by six or seven two or two and a half pounders. The biggies were beating the others to the "food". The footing was so bad I was worn out in forty minutes or I probably
could've caught another two or three citation fish. Man I love it when I can get 'em on top!

·
Registered
704 Posts
Hit the river just above the shoals today. Lots of algae on the rocks and it was siippery as oil on glass. I was throwing a baby torpedo in leopard frog colors and the smallies were killing it. Caught two citation fish and two just an inch short. The fish would smack the lure as soon as it landed-I mean immediately-and when I got em close it was obvious why; each big one that was hooked was followed by six or seven two or two and a half pounders. The biggies were beating the others to the "food". The footing was so bad I was worn out in forty minutes or I probably
could've caught another two or three citation fish. Man I love it when I can get 'em on top!
Haven't been on that river this year. Is the algae bad everywhere?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think all the algae at Molly has a lot to do with River Ridge Cattle Co. being just upstream. I see Elodea or Hydrilla up on the South Fork, but none of the long filamentous stuff.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I think all the algae at Molly has a lot to do with River Ridge Cattle Co. being just upstream. I see Elodea or Hydrilla up on the South Fork, but none of the long filamentous stuff.
That stuff will drive you crazy. When the filaments are together, it's like rope if it wraps around your feet. Hate the slick stuff on rocks even worse, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.