NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was running the trail at Lake Johnson today and a kid on the bridge had caught an 8lb bass. He had it in a bucket with a bunch of slab crappie and was planning on eating it. More power to him, I guess. It actually looked like he was the one showing his grandpa the ropes, and he was only 8 years old at most. Pretty funny.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
Too bad gramps didn't teach the kid to put bag the biggie and just keep the crappie

·
Red X Angler
8,988 Posts
Grandpa may have been willing to have that fish mounted. I'd have let my grandson keep it for bragging rights or a mount. The NEXT one he caught I would focus on the importance of conservation.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Grandpa may have been willing to have that fish mounted. I'd have let my grandson keep it for bragging rights or a mount. The NEXT one he caught I would focus on the importance of conservation.
I would have to agree with h2ohhh on this one. I can see wanting to take it and show it off the first time. Hopefully he'll not keep doing that, though. :D

The first bass I caught that was 8lb's is hanging on my wall ... this was from 20+ years ago and to have one mounted the best result was the real fish, not a model. That fish has been on my wall in my home or office since 1994, and I wouldn't trade it. I have never kept another bass, and even turned one loose that was a pound bigger than that several years ago.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Keep in mind alot of those "bucket folks" are fishing to put some meat on the table. My childhood had times when dinner was whatever we caught with the worms we dug around the yard, and biscuits or grits.

·
Red X Angler
8,988 Posts
I would have to agree with h2ohhh on this one. I can see wanting to take it and show it off the first time. Hopefully he'll not keep doing that, though. :D

The first bass I caught that was 8lb's is hanging on my wall ... this was from 20+ years ago and to have one mounted the best result was the real fish, not a model. That fish has been on my wall in my home or office since 1994, and I wouldn't trade it. I have never kept another bass, and even turned one loose that was a pound bigger than that several years ago.
Somewhere in the late 80's I caught a 5 pound smallie which I chose to have mounted. That is the last trophy fish that I ever kept and I've released many of various species (not that I'm that great a fisherman, I 've just fished many, many years). I do not regret keeping that fish as I can recall the specifics of the day that went with it. My wife and daughter (who was maybe 7 at the time..she's 31 now) were with me and it was the last fish of the day caught. It's not about the mount, it's about the memory. And I remember every time I look at that fish, which is in my office right now.

Eye Reptile Toy Jaw Fish

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
I thought the Lake Johnson boat house went by the rule of 100, meaning that when combined the air temp. and water temp. must equal 100 or more to take a boat out. I may be wrong. Haven't fished there in years.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
The link I put in the previous post is their official one and looks current (lists the date in April of this year that they will go to 7 days again; currently closed on Mondays). that's where I got the info from.

EDIT - looking again, for canoes, kayaks and sail boats it is 65 degree water temp. For jon boats and pedal boats it is rule of 100. Same rules at Wheeler except they allow trailered boats. Also the wind speed is about renting; they might still let you launch your own in the wind but it would not be much fun...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yes when I fished it I had a jon boat and a Bass Hunter both with a trolling motor, no gas motors allowed. and it was the 100 rule. It is a small parking lot also so it is hard to park and leave one hanging out the back of the truck.

Ronnie

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
It aint gonna hurt a thing.
I dug up an old article the other day and was reading it again as it had been awhile. It was about a massive post release die off of released bass. Actually 4 tournaments the same weekend on the same river.

Anyhow it was quite a lengthy article that went into various studies on post release mortality.
Anyhow in the article a Texas Tech University biologist made the statement that if every bass caught in every tournament were killed there would not be an appreciable decline in population.

I have absolutely no problem with someone keeping a few fish big or small. I may not keep a one but the guy next to me does...That's great. Maybe he'll continue to fish and enjoy fishing for a lifetime. My only hope is that it gets utilized either at the table or hanging on a wall with the kids name and date it was caught. A lifetime memory not to be spoiled on a message board.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.